Air pocket in BRS style reactor

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a dual BRS style reactor for a few weeks and it's constantly got air in it. I've removed the clear plastic part a far times and refilled with water, but the air pocket is back.

The return line is below the waterline and I have no leaks. The feed is running from the main return pump.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BRS reactors always have an air bubble in them. I only run carbon and/or GFO in them so the air bubble is of no concern. I really don't think it's a big concern here either.

If you shake the reactor, the bubbles usually work themselves out.

OP
OP
nick9one1

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's not really small bubbles but a large air pocket.
20210310_132552.jpg

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is the interior column filled with water? The water enters on the exterior, goes to the bottom then is pushed up through the media. As long as the interior column is filled, that is all that matters.

What is that white thing at the bottom? The sponge is supposed to be used on top of the plastic plate in case you have media that may escape or clog the plastic. That may be inhibiting flow into the reactor column. Same on the top, you should not have a sponge on the outside top of the column (There is a gray gasket to make the body seal).

Also, it could be not filling if your pump is too low of pressure to displace the air, In this case you could unscrew it just a little while it is running, watch the water level and then tighten it when it gets to the top.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just looks like an air pocket in the outer canister. It usually works itself out, or could just unscrew the canister a bit to allow it to escape.

Could also be your pump is too weak to push water through all the media(not enough head pressure).

OP
OP
nick9one1

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the interior column filled with water? The water enters on the exterior, goes to the bottom then is pushed up through the media. As long as the interior column is filled, that is all that matters.

What is that white thing at the bottom? The sponge is supposed to be used on top of the plastic plate in case you have media that may escape or clog the plastic. That may be inhibiting flow into the reactor column. Same on the top, you should not have a sponge on the outside top of the column (There is a gray gasket to make the body seal).

Also, it could be not filling if your pump is too low of pressure to displace the air, In this case you could unscrew it just a little while it is running, watch the water level and then tighten it when it gets to the top.

Yes the interior column is filled with water, and its plumbed in the correct direction.
The thing at the bottom isn't a sponge but a bag of seachem purigen. I've removed it for now as its quite restrictive.

What I cant understand is where the air is coming from.
I fill both canisters with water before I screw them in, so there is no air pocket. On day 2 I see about a 1 inch air pocket, day 3 another inch, day 4 another inch etc.

Both inlet and outlet are fully submerged and there are no leaks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back