Airline size

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a diameter recommendation to run an airline outside? My tank is almost center in the house and we work from home with a family of 4 and my co2 scrubber is working but tired of replacing media. Was think 3/4” but I’m thinking those are some large holes in the wall and need to go 40 ish feet to get a line outside. Would 1/2” work as well?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What would be a diameter recommendation to run an airline outside? My tank is almost center in the house and we work from home with a family of 4 and my co2 scrubber is working but tired of replacing media. Was think 3/4” but I’m thinking those are some large holes in the wall and need to go 40 ish feet to get a line outside. Would 1/2” work as well?
3/8” or 1/4”

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely go larger than the existing skimmer air line, otherwise you might end up starving the skimmer of air.

The skimmer is going to have to draw/pull air in, so if the airline run is too long and the line too small, you won't get enough air into the skimmer making it less efficient.

I ran an oversized air line to the outside and then plumbed my smaller skimmer airline into to. Sort of like a larger fresh air plenum. I think I used 1" line to the outside, but I'm sure that was overkill.

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely go larger than the existing skimmer air line, otherwise you might end up starving the skimmer of air.

The skimmer is going to have to draw/pull air in, so if the airline run is too long and the line too small, you won't get enough air into the skimmer making it less efficient.

I ran an oversized air line to the outside and then plumbed my smaller skimmer airline into to. Sort of like a larger fresh air plenum. I think I used 1" line to the outside, but I'm sure that was overkill.
Just got back from hardware store and they ran out of some fittings I need, so was forced to use 3/4”. Anyways got the supplies and an eager toddler that wants to help today. I don’t think I should have to glue anything so be a perfect toddler project

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was easy, will see how much of a difference this makes, my low is 7.9 and high 8.1 very consistently. Be nice to get 8-8.3

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back