OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I BEAT DINOS!!!!!!
About 6 weeks ago I had a bad amphidinium outbreak, along with cyano.
So, I stopped skimming to get the nitrates and phosphates up and went into a 5-day partial blackout.. 5% blues only, and added Microbacter 7 every evening. I also raised the temp from 78 to 80.
I also run a small UV.

At the end of the 5 days, the sand bed was looking much better. Clean every morning, but still showing stringy stuff by days end, and the microscope still showing some dinos, and now diatoms too.
Phosphates went up to .17, and nitrates around 40 during this time, and slowly dropped after I started skimming again.
The last thing I did was to siphon off the top 1/4” of the sand bed, taking out the sand. I’ve rinsed it clean, but have not put it back yet.

Now a couple of weeks later the tank is looking the best it’s ever been! Not a trace of dinos, cyano, diatoms or anything. I do get some minor algae on the glass, but that’s it.

It’s been like this for well over a week. It feels like it was too easy :oops:. What am I doing wrong, lol?

More importantly I wish I knew exactly what I did that worked. Maybe it was one or two things, or maybe it needed all of them together. Whatever, I’m so happy!

yeah!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy Birthday GIF

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back