OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey great progression of pictures....definitely inspired me to put up mine....i love my 29 cube!!! I have been trying to slowly to transfer out the corals i dont want anymore and move towards some acans, blastos, rarer zoas and maybe some sps....but i think it is time i get a journal of my own on here....Your tank looks great and hope the jawfish is doing okay.
Thanks for the compliment!! Please post a link to you thread when you get it up and running! You have the right idea with your coral ideas. Go seminoles btw

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I put my up. Well I have no SPS left. I am going to stick to zoas and LPS. What have you tried to feed the Jawfish?
I'll check it out in a sec, I have tried Blue zoo mix, Rods Food, Arctic Pods and cyclopeez. I'm going broke just trying to find something he will eat. :sad:

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats true never thought of that he is always out and about at night, but I ticked him off sooo bad when I first put him in trying to get him in the freaking barnacle, I'm afraid to go near the tank anymore.

Film

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I love the tank, great corals but I would like to give you some tips or suggestions that might help your fish to start living longer.

1) It appears you have lost quite a few fish. Not to wory we all lose fish but since it is a 24 I would say go with 2 clowns, a firefish or jawfish and that’s it. 3- 4 fish is pushing it. I’m not a tang police person but so your fish stay healthy and you don’t have to overfeed I would recommend that many fish.
2) I saw your urchin and I love it just make sure your prepared for it to knock everything over
3) The tank is looking great! I love all the different corals

If you choose not to follow the tips that that’s up to you, I’m not pressuring it just trying to make keeping your livstock just a bit easier.

GOOD LUCK!
Film

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I love the tank, great corals but I would like to give you some tips or suggestions that might help your fish to start living longer.

1) It appears you have lost quite a few fish. Not to wory we all lose fish but since it is a 24 I would say go with 2 clowns, a firefish or jawfish and that’s it. 3- 4 fish is pushing it. I’m not a tang police person but so your fish stay healthy and you don’t have to overfeed I would recommend that many fish.
2) I saw your urchin and I love it just make sure your prepared for it to knock everything over
3) The tank is looking great! I love all the different corals

If you choose not to follow the tips that that’s up to you, I’m not pressuring it just trying to make keeping your livstock just a bit easier.

GOOD LUCK!
Film
Thank you for your tips and suggestions and compliments.
1. I have lost a few fish and I think I have always taken things too quickly. It is a 29 gallon tank, rather than a 24, not much bigger but still.
2. I love him too, and there a couple corals in the sand bed that get moved around, but so far is a gentelman.
3. Thank you, I am a coral fanantic lol.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am dosing magnesium to get rid of my algae problem. I tested this morning was at 1200ppm, added 2oz tested this evening up to 1300. Goal is 1500 and to keep it up there for 3 weeks after algae is gone. Bryopsis sucks ballz.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word funny you say that, epsom salt is exactly what I'm using. People are a little unsure as to whether anything other than kent m will kill bryopsis. We will see how it works hopefully..

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am using Kent M now and trying to keep it between 1500and 1600.

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great looking BC! We have had ours up for almost a year now. Definately had a massive hair algae outbreak which is about under control now. I tried the Oceanic skimmer for a while and recently upraded to the CPR BC29 skimmer. It goes in the middle compartment. So far has been a real improvement. We also added a phosban reactor.
Your cube is really looking good. Great variety of fish and corals!
Keep the pics comimg and thanks for sharing.

Dave

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great looking BC! We have had ours up for almost a year now. Definately had a massive hair algae outbreak which is about under control now. I tried the Oceanic skimmer for a while and recently upraded to the CPR BC29 skimmer. It goes in the middle compartment. So far has been a real improvement. We also added a phosban reactor.
Your cube is really looking good. Great variety of fish and corals!
Keep the pics comimg and thanks for sharing.

Dave
Thanks for the compliment dave! How did you get your algae under control, and how do you like the CPR BC29 skimmer? I am going to upgrade, was thinking of a tunze 9002 or a saphire BC29R, but am open to suggestions.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my AFAC group is going well. we just got a superman chalice in today, still pale but should color up nicely
IMG_2413.jpg

here is the Matrix acan we got last month
IMG_2412.jpg

Here are some before and after pics of 3 chalices we bought in March
SubZero chalice Before
IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

After Got two new eyes
IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

DarthMaul Before
IMG_1772.jpg

After one new eye
IMG_2418.jpg

Gold digger Before
IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

After 2 new eyes
IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

Only thing that sucks right now is our dendro won't open all the way anymore. Not noticing any tissue recession, and still feeding it, but does not seem to be likeing the extra magnesium
IMG_2424.jpg

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the CPR skimmer. It is like night and day compared to the old one we had. I have read that the Sapphire is also a really good skimmer for the BC 29. I have never had one though. The Phosban reactor has helped alot with the algae problem. We also cut back on the time our lights are on (6 hours/day). I think we are going to change the aquascape. We have too much LR in there. your cube is looking great.
Keep it up and keep the pics coming.

Dave

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 61 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back