Alakalinity Check

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a problem getting my alkalinity into proper range. I use a a tap warer purifier for my make up water. I know this lowers the alkalinity. My PH is ok. I have been adding reef builder (raises Carbonate Alkalinity) with all my make up water. I can not get above a 5KH value. Am I using the wrong product. Any recomendation would greatly be appriciated.:sad:

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tap Water Purifier material is exhausted after a relatively small amount of water production, so monitor your TDS if you've used it for very long.

There are three components involved in maintaining the proper calcium levels in your water--alkalinity, magnesium, and calcium. Usually, the component that falls short and is the source of the problem is Mg. I don't know what Reef Builder does, but if its only function is to raise alkalinity, you're only dealing with one leg of the stool. What are your readings for Mg and Ca? Also, how big is your tank, how old is it, how are you providing alkalinity, Ca, and Mg, i.e., reactor, two-part?
Gary

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem's ReefBuilder will raise only your carbonate alk, which is what you are looking for. Mg and Ca do play a part in the balance and you should continue to check these components while adjusting any of these levels.

You mention adding the CaCO3 to your makeup water which is a big no no. Adding the alk in this process can easily cause it to precipitate and even lower original levels. The components are oversaturated even as they are mixed. Try adding your alk directly to your system slowly in a freshwater/buffer mixture.

Also, I tend to suspect testing errors in these cases as well. Try testing the alk of your freshly made salt with no additions and post the results along with the brand. I would make sure your kit is accurate and the testing process is being followed exactly as instructed as well as try another local hobbyist's kit if available.

Sam

OP
OP
F

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Thank you for all your info. I have used 3 different test kits and come up with the same results. ma and cal are in range, ca may be slightly high. I live just out side of Cape May and I use natural sea water. Which I have tested and it is good.. I have a 65 gal fish that changed to corals about 4 months ago. I change 10 gallons a week. The tank is packed I skim 24/7 except when feeding. I also use the live sand bottom and have no sump. All fish and corals are doing well, just concerned about the alkalinity.

Back