Can’t get my Alakalinity right

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’ve been in a constant back and forth with my alakalinity , it has remained constant at 7 , I’m using IO reef crystals and dosing Red Sea alkalinity currently was at 15ml per day on 90 gallons which bumped it up to a dig of 10 however that killed my torches and my birds nest (mixed reef, LPS, but mainly softies )so I recently stopped dosing for a couple days as I didn’t notice my doser was out of liquid then I did a 10% water change which dropped my alkalinity to 6 , which I was not trying to do! I’m trying to just get my alkalinity between 8-9 and keep it thier consistently as consistency is key, so I was thinking about switching salts a lot of LFS have recommended me to switch to Red Sea coral pro but I’m open to using the best salt out there so if you have any recommendations let me know , also was considering tropic marine salt , or if you think I should keep what I have and just bring up the alkalinity by dosing any advice is welcomed ! Thanks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’ve been in a constant back and forth with my alakalinity , it has remained constant at 7 , I’m using IO reef crystals and dosing Red Sea alkalinity currently was at 15ml per day on 90 gallons which bumped it up to a dig of 10 however that killed my torches and my birds nest (mixed reef, LPS, but mainly softies )so I recently stopped dosing for a couple days as I didn’t notice my doser was out of liquid then I did a 10% water change which dropped my alkalinity to 6 , which I was not trying to do! I’m trying to just get my alkalinity between 8-9 and keep it thier consistently as consistency is key, so I was thinking about switching salts a lot of LFS have recommended me to switch to Red Sea coral pro but I’m open to using the best salt out there so if you have any recommendations let me know , also was considering tropic marine salt , or if you think I should keep what I have and just bring up the alkalinity by dosing any advice is welcomed ! Thanks
Instant Ocean has relatively high alk among the salt brands... How often are you doing water changes, and what percentage?

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why switch?
Your first sentence was it is constant at 7.
IO is a fine salt.

Do you have your calcium and magnisium test numbers?
A low magnisium may mess with alk stability.
Every time I test my LFS is telling me to bring my alk up to at least 8 or 9, I don’t have the numbers in mind but I can post my recent test once I get home from work

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I test my LFS is telling me to bring my alk up to at least 8 or 9, I don’t have the numbers in mind but I can post my recent test once I get home from work
Stop listening to your LFS.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 is not a bad number. Lots of people run there.
I run at 8.

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7727B79E-6655-4C9E-B383-CE706F0A9946.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hannah Ca, Mg and Alk but I’m not sure if they test accurate, any recommendations ?
If you're asking for suggestions to replace the Hannas, I am a fan of the Salifert tests for most things.

If you're asking how to calibrate the Hannas, I'll defer to those that actually use them ;)

My point was, assuming you're using the LFS to test your water, you will be better off testing yourself.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 65 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back