OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have another full tank shot as well?

Got the bottom panels on today. Hopefully too will start to go up tomorrow.

40a7097178e85e041a44946bdc2bddc0.jpg

dmcoates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update. Ended up getting 3 Orphek Atlanik V4’s for lighting. Going to figure out how to rig up on light bar with a pulley system. At least that’s the plan for now.

a15bf76c809780735992d840e2fde5e3.jpg

Front panel done. Just need side and top doors done, then send to paint. Slow but sure progress.

11627064ddb180806bce11267c55c797.jpg
Nice, i see you got Tim to help with the install.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an interesting video BRS did talking about fuge lighting compared to the power of your lighting in the tank. The A80 probably is not powerful enough to get your chaeto to out compete nuisance algae in the display. Additionally with no Bio-load other than the live sand I doubt the chaeto had any nutrients to absorb and grow. Are you ghost feeding anything or dosing nitrate? I ran into the same issue with two types of macro algae melting before realizing I just didn't have enough nutrients in the tank for it to grow properly.

Hope the clowns made the transition well!

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an interesting video BRS did talking about fuge lighting compared to the power of your lighting in the tank. The A80 probably is not powerful enough to get your chaeto to out compete nuisance algae in the display. Additionally with no Bio-load other than the live sand I doubt the chaeto had any nutrients to absorb and grow. Are you ghost feeding anything or dosing nitrate? I ran into the same issue with two types of macro algae melting before realizing I just didn't have enough nutrients in the tank for it to grow properly.

Hope the clowns made the transition well!

I had the same thoughts on the light as well. I just don't know how to tell the difference when you're getting too little light or too much.

I was ghost feeding the tank a cube of mysis a day, so there should have been plenty of nutrients in the tank. Nitrates are super high, around 100PPM. I think I might have a phosphate imbalance with only 0.01 phosphate reading. I'm thinking I need to dose phosphate to get nitrate down. I had a similar experience in my old tank, except the phosphate was too high when nitrates were too low.

I've held off on adding fish until I can figure out the nitrate issue. Although, adding fish might help produce ammonia faster for the nitrogen cycle to pick up.

On a side note, I lost my diamond goby when it was in quarantine. Very sad, that fish had the most personality of the bunch.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally transferred my two clowns, six line, and hippo tang to the new tank. It didn’t take them long to get used to the new surroundings. It’s been almost a week and they seem to be doing well.

On another note. I set up a new BRS dosing pump to dose vinegar. I was cleaning things in the tank room and moved the dosing container out of the way and set it on top of my sump. I forgot about it and it ended up siphoning about a quart of vinegar into the sump overnight. Next morning I had a huge bacterial bloom! Looks like it’s cleared up after a few days, but lesson learned!

6a9052249094b353b3b942847b248e27.jpg

f7397383cf4d37dbff51636e610968df.jpg

90b60d692b6ab0b6bf77d65134f64f19.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great!
we are most definitely on parallel builds as i just added my first fish to the main display (2 clowns) and going to get the next wave of fish in the QT tomorrow. i will add more pictures to my build thread tonight..

the fish look so small in the big tanks dont they? that will all change

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great!
we are most definitely on parallel builds as i just added my first fish to the main display (2 clowns) and going to get the next wave of fish in the QT tomorrow. i will add more pictures to my build thread tonight..

the fish look so small in the big tanks dont they? that will all change

Haha, yeah they look tiny. I went out and picked up more fish to fill the space on Monday. A chocolate and blond naso tang. Unfortunately the naso looks to have had an infection of some sort and I found it dead in the QT tank this morning. It looked a little lethargic at the LFS when I picked it up, but I thought I might be able to nurse it along. Too bad, it was a really pretty fish.

TysTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the tang. The build and equipment room is incredible though. Definitely following along

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates on the tank.

I broke down and bought at Kessil A380. I also started dosing phosphate and I’m happy to report that the algae in the refugium is growing like weeds now. The algae is soaking up every bit of phosphate I add. I couldn’t be more pleased on how that’s working out.

a63638b4ff6f91964167be9d3fd86efb.jpg

My chocolate tang is doing well in QT. My LFS got me a new Naso to replace the one that I lost. This new one is quite a bit larger than I expected. It’s at least 6” long and beautiful. Nice and fat.

5ee0c516a7b206f4177009e1eef1b670.jpg

Also started on the doors on top of the tank. They need some adjustments, but they are looking good so far. Things are really coming along!

2a7c5940025f27288ec94baee5062c33.jpg

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates on the tank.

I broke down and bought at Kessil A380. I also started dosing phosphate and I’m happy to report that the algae in the refugium is growing like weeds now. The algae is soaking up every bit of phosphate I add. I couldn’t be more pleased on how that’s working out.

a63638b4ff6f91964167be9d3fd86efb.jpg

My chocolate tang is doing well in QT. My LFS got me a new Naso to replace the one that I lost. This new one is quite a bit larger than I expected. It’s at least 6” long and beautiful. Nice and fat.

5ee0c516a7b206f4177009e1eef1b670.jpg

Also started on the doors on top of the tank. They need some adjustments, but they are looking good so far. Things are really coming along!

2a7c5940025f27288ec94baee5062c33.jpg
tank is looking good, i also just put rock and cheato in refug and waiting for it to start growing...i had the kessil h80's set to low and i think on wrong spectrum so i changed and will see how that does. i also was running my main display lights (ap700's ) to long and to bright and started to get some spots so tweaked that a bit...

i like your scape and things are really looking great with your build..

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super clean, well thought out system. Congrats and look forward to watching the progress and journey!

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wood stand your smaller tank in the background is on, is absolutely beautiful.
Great updates the canopy/doors looking good.

Thanks. It’s a hickory veneer plywood. We got it so it matched our hickory cabinets at our old house. It did turn out very sharp.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the chocolate tang today. I’m really annoyed. When I picked him up from the LFS he was very active and eating. I’m thinking the blonde Naso I got that died from an infection may have gotten to the Chocolate. I’m totally bummed. I’m dosing kanaplex now in hopes the new blonde Naso doesn’t get infected too. Very frustrated right now. :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back