Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got back from the International Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, NM. What a spectacular event. Every day for 9 days (weather permitting) over 600 balloons all launch in about 2 hours. Every day before dawn close to 100,000 people arrive to see a few balloons go off before the sun comes up. They are called the Dawn Patrol and seeing hot air balloons light up against the dark of night as they inflate in the ground is very cool. But seeing 5 to 10 go off into the night sky, or even the first light of dawn before the sun comes up is just awesome! I took over 500 photos in 2+ hours and my wife took nearly 600. Over the next few days we will be posting many of our better shots at my Flickr account in an album called 'Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta'. You are all welcome to take a look. It's an open account and you don't even need to register. You can download or copy photos from my account and I'd appreciate any comments (good or bad).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161573393@N04/albums

DSCN8816 R2.jpg DSCN8900 R2.jpg DSCN8927 R3.jpg DSCN9189 R1.jpg DSCN9268 R1.jpg

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our son lives in Albuquerque and attends this event every year.. I have never been myself but have a couple cool T-shirts he has sent me over the years ;) When I was young we lived near a ballon-port here in va and had them crash landing on our property all the time.. lol

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our son lives in Albuquerque and attends this event every year.. I have never been myself but have a couple cool T-shirts he has sent me over the years ;) When I was young we lived near a balloon-port here in va and had them crash landing on our property all the time.. lol
You should go and visit him and get to the Balloon Fiesta. Seeing 600 balloons going up from a single field is truly amazing! Last year we went to Clemson, SC to see the total eclipse and we'll go to Austin, TX in 2024 to see another one, it's crazy cool. And we put the Balloon Fiesta in as a very close second.

BTW, out of 600 balloons, about 500+ are colorful and about 100 are called 'Special Shapes' and the orange spaceman we started to call 'Rocket Man' is my favorite!
DSCN8894 R2.jpg DSCN8913 R2.jpg DSCN9115 R1.jpg DSCN9118 R1.jpg

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I think this might be on my bucket list now.

That's why we went! It's been on our bucket list for several years after a friend of ours went and shared her experience.

Nearly 100,000 people roaming around in the dark (at the beginning) and all the huge balloons all being inflated, and its all packed so close together. You get to be VERY up close and personal with the balloons and all the crew getting them ready to launch.

DSCN8874 R1.jpg ZDSCN9055 R1.jpg ZDSCN9086 R1.jpg ZDSCN9168 R1.jpg

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should go and visit him and get to the Balloon Fiesta. Seeing 600 balloons going up from a single field is truly amazing! Last year we went to Clemson, SC to see the total eclipse and we'll go to Austin, TX in 2024 to see another one, it's crazy cool. And we put the Balloon Fiesta in as a very close second.

BTW, out of 600 balloons, about 500+ are colorful and about 100 are called 'Special Shapes' and the orange spaceman we started to call 'Rocket Man' is my favorite!
DSCN8894 R2.jpg DSCN8913 R2.jpg DSCN9115 R1.jpg DSCN9118 R1.jpg

Unfortunately our days of traveling are over.. my daughter has severe medical issues and can’t travel or be left alone for any length of time so these day’s even a trip to my LFS can be difficult without careful planning.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately our days of traveling are over.. my daughter has severe medical issues and can’t travel or be left alone for any length of time so these day’s even a trip to my LFS can be difficult without careful planning.

Sorry to hear about your daughter and my best wishes for her and you.

So in a few days go to my Flickr account and enjoy some of the ambiance of the Balloon Fiesta while at home and I hope you can get some enjoyment there.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your daughter and my best wishes for her and you.

So in a few days go to my Flickr account and enjoy some of the ambiance of the Balloon Fiesta while at home and I hope you can get some enjoyment there.

Thanks Ron, not exactly how I had planned on spending my retirement but it is what it is.. fortunately with the Internet I can still travel virtually, shop, enjoy forums like R2R and socialize with friends.. I will be sure to watch your Flicker account for new updates.

Charles

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome. I have always wanted to take a hot air balloon ride.

I hear you! We would love to have taken a balloon ride in this mass accession but we were told that rides were about $800 per person in a balloon with 12 to 14 people! There were only about 8 or so balloons with big gondolas. The number of ride available are small since most of the balloon pilots aren't even licensed to take riders, and then most of the gondolas were just 2 to 4 people and typically 2 were pilot and crew. Oh, and the attendance at the field was close to 80,000 to 90,000 people every day for 9 days! It was absolutely a sellers market! Maybe if we go back in 2021 for their 50th annual Fiesta.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible Halloween costumes seen at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta this year:

A DSCN9112 photo 8.5x11 R2.jpg DSCN8983 R1.jpg DSCN9079 R1.jpg DSCN9127.JPG DSCN9130 R1.jpg DSCN9152 R1.jpg DSCN9178.JPG DSCN9268 R1.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back