Alex's Innovative Marine SR-60 Build Thread

shrek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got the sr60, filled with water a couple hours ago, wanted to ask about water height, in the pics it looks about 1.25 inches below top of tank. is this adjustable ? i dont think it is, as any more water and the chambers inside the filter section overflow improperly. but if anyone has knowledge of this let me know. thank you!

OP
OP
A

alex478

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I am thinking of a similar set up. How much space did you leave in the rear?
Hello, sorry for the late reply, but my recommendation is you leave at least 4 inches behind the tank. The reason for this is you might want to upgrade your skimmer in the future to a HOB (as space is limited in the rear chamber) and most are around 3.5" to 4.0" in width(front to back).

OP
OP
A

alex478

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, the build quality of the tank looks top notch. After having it for a while now are you satisfied with everything? Anything you would change?
Hello, sorry for the late reply. Good question. I've now had the tank for a little over 8 months, and I can honestly say it's an amazing system, but it's not without it's drawbacks. For one, I find the return pumps to be rather loud when the water level drops just a little in the rear chamber. Also, space is limited in the rear chamber and so upgrades are difficult. For example, I finally got too tired of the IM Skimmer's constant micro-bubbles and so I decided to upgrade. It's almost impossible to find another capable to skimmer to fit in the rear chamber though, so I had to go with a HOB which takes away from the AIO aspect I feel. And finally, I would have rather seen media baskets under the two overflows as opposed to the filter socks but I guess that's just a matter of opinion. Besides that, the aquarium is still a great tank, and I would buy it again.

OP
OP
A

alex478

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, everyone, I'm back for an update, sorry it's taken so long. So, recently the tanks health has been declining a bit due to a combination of bad things happening, including two different gobies going into the rock work and dying without a way for me to retrieve them. That caused an ammonia spike and I lost multiple fish in the process, including my foxface. After dosing multiple products and doing many water changes, I was able to get the ammonia down but the coral just weren't the same after that. Also, I could never quite get the IM protein skimmer tuned right and I got to a point that I just couldn't take the micro bubbles anymore that as mentioned in a previous post, I decided to change it out for a Reef Octopus BH-100 HOB skimmer, and boy is that thing amazing. I've also decided to start mixing my own saltwater using the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt in hopes of reviving some of the corals. Well I now recently introduced a yellow tang, a niger trigger, and a new plate coral. So please enjoy the pics below, and I'll be back soon with a new update.
DSCN2838.jpg

DSCN2839.jpg

DSCN2840.jpg

DSCN2841.jpg

Bps619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! How do you like the Skkye lights? I'm getting my sr-60 delivered Tuesday and I'm still debating on which lights to go with. Thanks

OP
OP
A

alex478

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! How do you like the Skkye lights? I'm getting my sr-60 delivered Tuesday and I'm still debating on which lights to go with. Thanks
In my opinion, don't buy the Skkye Lights. They're good lights at what they do, but they're not controllable and I can't really see myself growing SPS under them. Go with something from AI or a Radion fixture, that's what I'm planning to switch to real soon.

Bps619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex, I appreciate the quick reply. I was thinking 2 AI 26s. I guess it's time to pull out the ramen for a bit. I can't wait for my first reef tank and more pictures of yours. Thanks!

OP
OP
A

alex478

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex, I appreciate the quick reply. I was thinking 2 AI 26s. I guess it's time to pull out the ramen for a bit. I can't wait for my first reef tank and more pictures of yours. Thanks!
No problem... I am actually considering two AI 26 fixtures as well, let me know how you like them if you decide to pull the plug.

Bps619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i pulled the trigger and love them. The director makes them that much better as well.

OP
OP
A

alex478

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, looks great, definitely jealous Keep me updated on performance once you start stocking corals.

phishphan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know that Niger Trigger can get up to a foot long which is a third the length of your tank. I don't think that fish will be a viable option long term. He is also not reef safe. Do you still have your shrimp and crabs you started out with?

OP
OP
A

alex478

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes time that the trigger gets too big I'll just trade him in for something else. When it comes to the Niger Trigger it's the luck of the draw whether it attacks your corals and invertebrates. Mine has been extremely docile and has not shown any aggression towards it's tank mates.

best3175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's that Skimmer? How is the noise and micro bubbles? I have the SR-80 and have had noise and micro bubble problems too. I've tried a Tunze and the Ghost skimmers. I'm thinking of either going with two of the new CADLights PLS-50 skimmers or the HB-2000 HOB. I hear the PLS-50 is super quiet and no micro bubbles. How is your HB-1000?

I went with AI Hydra's 52. I like them, but would probably go with the EcoTechs if I had to do it again. It is small things really. You would be fine going with either light.

Back