Algae and co2 removal

danfee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering if anybody has some good info on how much co2 can be removed from the water column by algae scrubbing. Live in Midwest. Co2 in house is a pain in the butt without leaving windows open, especially in winter.

Will an algae scrubber remove much?

Ph not bad but dips down to 7.9’s. Sps not happy when that happens.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it can work as the atmospheric CO2 is going to go into solution from the tank interface as fast as the plants pull it out. Locally there may be a slight drop but overall I don't think you could measure it with the pH meter.

I could be wrong, so let's see if anyone has measured improvement in pH with the addition of an algae scrubber.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it can work as the atmospheric CO2 is going to go into solution from the tank interface as fast as the plants pull it out. Locally there may be a slight drop but overall I don't think you could measure it with the pH meter.

I could be wrong, so let's see if anyone has measured improvement in pH with the addition of an algae scrubber.
Many aquarists run macro algae containing refugium on a light cycle opposite to that of the display tank to minimize the night time pH dip.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many aquarists run macro algae containing refugium on a light cycle opposite to that of the display tank to minimize the night time pH dip.

Perhaps a large reactor is better at CO2 reduction than an ATS?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you'd want folks to quantify the CO2 removal, but functionally, folks can often see a pH benefit from growing algae in various ways, but typically the effect is not large enough to solve a significant low pH issue.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you'd want folks to quantify the CO2 removal, but functionally, folks can often see a pH benefit from growing algae in various ways, but typically the effect is not large enough to solve a significant low pH issue.

In addition to using these, the most important thing is probably to open the windows to ventilate the house. It doesn’t matter how many pots of flowers and pots of grass are in the house. This does nothing to help solve the carbon dioxide problem. You can do a simple analysis yourself to see if it is worth opening the windows and paying the increased electricity and gas bills or using carbon dioxide scrubber:

He speaks English very quickly and is very difficult for me. I read the Japanese subtitles below. But you can take a look at some of the products they recommend:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back