Algae barn mystery alage

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recieved to macro alage for free with my purchase of copepods and phytoplankton do you know what kind this is ?
20181107_141927.jpeg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like chaeto but not 100% positive looking through the glass. Can you pull a bit out and take another picture and we can give you a 100% answer?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not chaeto! I’ll be back with you in a few with a ID

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s either Dragons Tongue or Red Gracilaria I’m leaning towards the dragons tongue the most.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red and Green Gracilaria I think
I know macro algae is mainly for nutrient export, which unfortunalty I am trying to raise levels not decrease them due to my battle with dinoflagellates. I am trying to increase my biodiversity. Would this small amount do much or could i have other uses for it. I would hate to get rid of it, never had macro algae before.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new breed!!! So how do we go about getting some? I’m making a pod order this weekend.
When i ordered my pods and phytoplankton i entered the promo code "mystery". Since i always search these before an online purchase this promo code looked like more fun than only 10% off lol. Oh and I ordered it from algae barn!

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i ordered my pods and phytoplankton i entered the promo code "mystery". Since i always search these before an online purchase this promo code looked like more fun than only 10% off lol.
This is our Mocha(brown) Ogo :)
Thank you ! I am excited to place in my tank tonight with the pods.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I guess you replied.

Ok what is that? I never heard of it.
This sounds like something you are not sure what it is so you gave a common name too.
Is it a type of gracilaria? That is what it looks like to me.

Yes it is a gracilaria species. We don't have a ton of information on it yet, but we are going to be doing some tang feeding trials with it soon.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know macro algae is mainly for nutrient export, which unfortunalty I am trying to raise levels not decrease them due to my battle with dinoflagellates. I am trying to increase my biodiversity. Would this small amount do much or could i have other uses for it. I would hate to get rid of it, never had macro algae before.

It's a decent grower, but nothing crazy. Are you putting it in a sump or the display tank? Can you tell me a little more about the setup?

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A new breed!!! So how do we go about getting some? I’m making a pod order this weekend.

Use coupon code Mystery (the order needs to be $60 or above). If the code doesnt work, put in the comments to add a golfball of mocha ogo and it was approved by Sean.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!! You’ll be seeing my order on Friday! Getting paid once a month sucks but the wife says it keeps me from buying to much on the tanks! Lol

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you!!! You’ll be seeing my order on Friday! Getting paid once a month sucks but the wife says it keeps me from buying to much on the tanks! Lol

Hahah, I understand. We are running a 15% off the 5280 pods (15PODS is the code). If the system gives you a conflict, just use 15PODS and write in the comments that you also want the mocha ogo.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a decent grower, but nothing crazy. Are you putting it in a sump or the display tank? Can you tell me a little more about the setup?
Well i have a red sea max e 260. Its a all in one tank I don't have the sump upgrade. I am still new to reef keeping so I don't have a refugium or any macroalage in the tank as of now. My goal is to increase biodiversity to combat dinoflagellates. I guess I will place it in the display tank until make a little homemade refugium for the back of the tank or buy a under cabinet sump.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back