Algae bloom?

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help here? Did a water vacumm yesterday Came in from work today to find like this! Phosphates a near 0...
IMG_1150.jpeg

OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS, Im colour blind so not sure what colour it is :D

OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean you vacuumed the sand bed, or...? And do you mean the discoloration on the sand bed?
Sorry, school run. Yes vacummed the sand and got rid of some detritus and yes also the discolouration

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks new, discoloration on the sand appears to be diatoms which appear after a tank has cycled. It feeds off silicates and when gone the diatoms go away on its own. Might be a great time to start establishing a pod population, pods eat diatoms and could help speed up the process.

OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks new, discoloration on the sand appears to be diatoms which appear after a tank has cycled. It feeds off silicates and when gone the diatoms go away on its own. Might be a great time to start establishing a pod population, pods eat diatoms and could help speed up the process.
Thank s guys, shall I just leave it then? if not adding any pods?

OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do either but now would be a great time to start your pod population and have the added benefit of having your diatoms eaten.
Lovely thank you. Again, being a newbie, when you say pods... you mean Amphipods and Coppopod things? CAn I buy them?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely thank you. Again, being a newbie, when you say pods... you mean Amphipods and Coppopod things? CAn I buy them?
Ya, I was talking about copepods but amphipods are helpful as well and are great fish food. I get my copepods from Dinkins Auquatic gardens and I think I got my amphipods from AlgeBarn ( it was well over a year ago). I add more copepods about every 2-3 months. Don’t forget you’ll need phytoplankton to feed the copepods.

OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I was talking about copepods but amphipods are helpful as well and are great fish food. I get my copepods from Dinkins Auquatic gardens and I think I got my amphipods from AlgeBarn ( it was well over a year ago). I add more copepods about every 2-3 months. Don’t forget you’ll need phytoplankton to feed the copepods.
Lol lovely thanks Kev, so I need copepods and phytoplankton yeh?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya both, Dinkin’s sells a combo that is called a snackle box ( I think). Phyto will keep your copepod population fed.

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His dry rock is colored purple to look like coralline algae, I believe.
Doesn't quite look right for that though. Typically with those they are completely purple/red that looks like it has white yet from the original dry rock.

OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't quite look right for that though. Typically with those they are completely purple/red that looks like it has white yet from the original dry rock.
Im colour blind so cant see the red but beleive it was purple.Not snotty to touch... always been like that I think

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back