Algae cleanup crew for a 20 gal tank

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just wondering if you have any suggestions on the best cleanup crew for a 20 gallon long reef tank. The algae in the tank is out of control I’ve tried everything taking the rock out scrubbing it down, using various chemicals everything nothing seems to work. I have a BTA, a RFA, a Duncan, a toadstool, a mushroom, and a zoa coral I need something that will absolutely remove the algae, oh by the way it’s green hair algae. Any suggestions would be helpful my tank parameters are as followed Heat-75.2
point of sale-0.02
Lighting on for 11 hours a day
Salt-1.026
Ammonia-0
Nitrate-5ppm
Nitrite-0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, someone please correct me if I am, but IMO, no clean up crew can reverse an "out of control" algae problem, you're asking for something impossible.

Starving algae is really the best solution, my best advise is all-out war:
increase CUC
decrease lighting
decrease feeding
weekly water changes
weekly scrubbing of the rocks
use GFO or phosguard

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, someone please correct me if I am, but IMO, no clean up crew can reverse an "out of control" algae problem, you're asking for something impossible.

increase CUC
decrease lighting
decrease feeding
weekly water changes
use GFO or phosguard
I know there are fish/invertebrates that eat green hair algae but I’m not sure what types that’s what I’m asking I’ve been like you said in a “all out war” but it’s not doing anything for me that’s why I’m trying other options and besides scrubbing the rock is becoming more and more impossible because of all the coral I have!!!

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

increase CUC
decrease lighting
decrease feeding
weekly water changes
use GFO or phosguard
I know tangs like green hair algae but are there any that can live in a 20 gallon long tank?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand lawnmower blenny might be good to eat green hair algae, turbo snail as well.

Hope others can help to advise, good luck

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've pieced together several cleaner packs from my LFS over the years, but they are always out of half of what i want, so i've ordered a few times from reefcleaners and never have been disappointed. pick your size tank on their site to get a list of what they would include. ceriths, nerite, turbos, hermits, nassarius, mithrax crabs etc.. They have a nice variety that they include in their packs.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back