Algae Clip

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a Kole Tang this weekend, its acclimated fine to my tank - quickly has become the boss I think. It eats frozen (mostly LRS - of course right?) and is picking all over my rocks. But when I put a piece of dried Algae (I'm using Two Little Fishes - Purple) on the clip in the tank it never goes near it. Is this usual? This is my first tang so I'm just used to seeing them go crazy for this stuff when its in tanks in LFS, etc. Is there something I need to do so it realizes this is food?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a Kole Tang this weekend, its acclimated fine to my tank - quickly has become the boss I think. It eats frozen (mostly LRS - of course right?) and is picking all over my rocks. But when I put a piece of dried Algae (I'm using Two Little Fishes - Purple) on the clip in the tank it never goes near it. Is this usual? This is my first tang so I'm just used to seeing them go crazy for this stuff when its in tanks in LFS, etc. Is there something I need to do so it realizes this is food?
Not abnormal. I had a Kole Tang and it wouldn't eat off the veggie clip for a good two weeks after adding it to the tank. Give it some time.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find sometimes that rubbing the algae between your fingers in the water so tiny piece fly off right before you put in the clip helps the fish associate the appearance of the clip with the appearance of food. This usually draws them nearer to the clip.

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not abnormal. I had a Kole Tang and it wouldn't eat off the veggie clip for a good two weeks after adding it to the tank. Give it some time.
Thanks, I was mostly hoping for reassurance that this was "normal". I'll also try cutting it into strips to see if that speeds things along.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was mostly hoping for reassurance that this was "normal". I'll also try cutting it into strips to see if that speeds things along.
And as long as its eating the food you're giving it, I wouldn't be to concerned.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try rubber banding the nori to a small piece of rubble. Once it gets used to this you can move to a clip

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back