Algae control during fallow

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my fallow period a couple of days ago and realized that a very integral part of my algae control is now in a QT/Hospital tank. 90 gallon tank is moderately stocked with mostly LPS coral, 3 Skunk Cleaner shrimp and a couple dozen assorted snails and hermit crabs. Is there anything that's reef safe that I can add either proactively, or later on should the need arise?

UV? Crabs? Urchin? All of the above?

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you currently have an algae problem going on?
What are your nitrates and phosphates?

If nitrates stay between 5-10, and phosphates 0.25 then you shouldn’t have any problems during your fallow period.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I started my fallow period a couple of days ago and realized that a very integral part of my algae control is now in a QT/Hospital tank. 90 gallon tank is moderately stocked with mostly LPS coral, 3 Skunk Cleaner shrimp and a couple dozen assorted snails and hermit crabs. Is there anything that's reef safe that I can add either proactively, or later on should the need arise?

UV? Crabs? Urchin? All of the above?
Keep chemicals out of tank. Light reduction is best as you cant utilize inverts. A small uv unit like the green machine will help also with QT tank

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you currently have an algae problem going on?
What are your nitrates and phosphates?

If nitrates stay between 5-10, and phosphates 0.25 then you shouldn’t have any problems during your fallow period.
Haven’t checked DT since last weekend, but nitrates were 16 and phos was 0, which I found odd because the week before they were .1 with nitrates at 12.

Not having a problem, just trying to be proactive.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep chemicals out of tank. Light reduction is best as you cant utilize inverts. A small uv unit like the green machine will help also with QT tank
I wasn’t real clear in my first post. Not terribly concerned about QT. My concern is keeping the DT in order. I can’t reduce lighting much due to all the coral. I just added a UV, but i need to grab some more tubing before i can fire it up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back