Algae Farming with your Tuxedo urchin

mmorrison55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2024
Messages
1,852
Reaction score
1,546
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone had success manually placing your urchin on rocks that have started to grow algae?

I’ve had 2 in my tank for about 2-3 weeks now and there are a few rocks that they have not seemed to get to that have just started to show signs of hair algae, so I manually placed one directly on that section of rock to see if they stay there and clean it off or move on.

Curious if anyone else has used them with success in this manner…
 
Has anyone had success manually placing your urchin on rocks that have started to grow algae?

I’ve had 2 in my tank for about 2-3 weeks now and there are a few rocks that they have not seemed to get to that have just started to show signs of hair algae, so I manually placed one directly on that section of rock to see if they stay there and clean it off or move on.

Curious if anyone else has used them with success in this manner…
That can definitely work. I haven’t done it with an urchin, but I’ve done that with snails a bunch.
 
One of my two was readily accessible so I gloved up and gently pulled him off the glass and plopped him down on a spot of the rockscape that is starting to have the outbreak.

Unfortunately, he didn’t remain there very long but I can see a trail where he moved on. So im not sure I can “force” him to eat, and I surely don’t want to injure them by handling them, but may try it a few more times.
 
You are right, you can't force them only try to encourage them like you did. I move snails and urchin all over even between tanks but they will only eat what they choose to eat.
I know many folks like their tuxedos but i have better luck with my pincushion than I did tuxedos. The pincushions will scrub a rock, at least mine.
 
I may add a pincushion to the mix. I think I have room in my 150 gallon display for at least one, and maybe 2-3 more.

Some searches say up to 1 per 20gallons, but im not wanting to overcrowd them either.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new