Algae growing on Zoa only?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL:DR Pernicious green algae that seems to primarily reside in/on my zoas are killing them off (I think)

I have fairly minimal algae in my display. However one thing I've noticed on some of my zoa that aren't really opening any more is that there is a layer of green algae directly on the zoa.

It grows up the base of some zoa and then over most of the body of a closed up zoa.

I'm not sure if the algae came first or the zoa started getting "sick" i.e. not opening up any more or the algae took hold and irritated the zoa/paly into not opening any more.

It can be blown off with considerable force using a target feeding device. Id rather not treat the tank with Fluconazole / Reeflux again as my potters angel loves to eat algae and I'm trying to grow chaeto in my algae reactor.

Has anyone experienced this? Any tips on getting rid of it?

My CUC is composed of 4 differt kinds of snails and 3 different types of zoa as well as a couple of urchins. But I'm wondering if CUC won't touch it because it's on/in Zoa/Paly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely, the algae is in an area where there is sufficient food and light source to keep it happy. Reduce white light intensity and you can give it a hydrogen peroxide dip which algae hates yet safe for the zoa.
Without any pictures, if it’s bryopsis, you will want to remove each strand and root with a tweezers.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the algae.

It's green but certainly not cyano. But also doesn't appear to be green Coraline type as it can be blown off forcefully with a baster. Does not appear to be filamentous either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-100802_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-100802_Gallery.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a 50/50 peroxide dip on some that I could get off the rocks and there was a lot of bubbles and some "stuff" came off but there wasn't a noticable difference.

Most of my zoas are directly grown to the aquascaping and can't be pulled out to dip.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, went away for a while, now it's come back with a chaeto die off but it's really pernicious on my zoa in particular. Some on the rocks but really coating the zoa

GerberGirth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this? I’ve been dealing with a similar problem for a while too
I've had an algae on my zoas as well. Very gritty but does cone off with a toothbrush. Seems to blanket my zoas and not allow them to open. I still have no clue what it is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back