Algae help

jalewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gal AIO tank that's about 5 months old. I would get occasional brown algae spots that usually disappeared after a water change. Over the past week or two I've been getting what looks like brown hair algae. I didn't do anything about it thinking it would go away but you can see it's growing like crazy! I do weekly readings and my phosphates never go above 0.04. I've started applying Pura Phoslock to see if that will help. Should I do anything else? I have Red Sea NoPox but haven't used it yet. Should I also use it? I don't want to go crazy trying all kinds of different things. The Phoslock has only been going for a couple days. For CUC I have 3 Turbo snails, 3 Nassarius snails and 4 emerald crabs. For fish I have 2 clowns and 1 dottyback. I'm sure part of my problem is overfeeding. I have cut back on food amount. Do I need to do anything else? Wait a little and see if the Phoslock does the trick? Should I scrap the algae?

Thanks.

20200705_130835.jpg 20200705_130822.jpg

D1rty30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d do a black out for a week...

OP
OP
jalewis

jalewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's an option seeing I don't have any coral at the moment. That won't freak out the other inhabitants?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back