Algae ID?? Bryopsis??

Trent H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’ve been dealing with algae for about 5 months no matter what I do I can not get it to go away… the tank is almost 10 months old. The algae is single strands and does not come off with a brush of any kind I have to manually cut it about 2 times a week with scissors and that is starting to get very old…. I have many different types of snails and they don’t touch it….

My tank parameters are
Temp:78
Salinity:1.026
Alk:7.8-8.3
Cal:415
Mag:1320
Nitrate:8-10
Phosphate: .07-.10

I was reading people have had good success using Fluconazole????

IMG_7082.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’ve been dealing with algae for about 5 months no matter what I do I can not get it to go away… the tank is almost 10 months old. The algae is single strands and does not come off with a brush of any kind I have to manually cut it about 2 times a week with scissors and that is starting to get very old…. I have many different types of snails and they don’t touch it….

My tank parameters are
Temp:78
Salinity:1.026
Alk:7.8-8.3
Cal:415
Mag:1320
Nitrate:8-10
Phosphate: .07-.10

I was reading people have had good success using Fluconazole????

IMG_7082.jpeg
Looks like strands of GHA to me, fluconazole is an algaecide and is very potent, some reports of tank crashes after dosing due to all the algae dying at once

OP
OP
Trent H

Trent H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like strands of GHA to me, fluconazole is an algaecide and is very potent, some reports of tank crashes after dosing due to all the algae dying at once
Thank you! I’m definitely against using any medication but I’m just so tired of it that is an older picture I think it might be worse now… I was thinking of trying a pin cushion urchin?? Will they help?? The only reason I haven’t got one yet it because corals are expensive and I don’t want to find him dragging something around. Am I being to paranoid?? All corals are glued down beside a few hammers I removed to allow more access to try and clean the algae.

Attachments

• IMG_7786.jpeg
    IMG_7786.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 21

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m definitely against using any medication but I’m just so tired of it that is an older picture I think it might be worse now… I was thinking of trying a pin cushion urchin?? Will they help?? The only reason I haven’t got one yet it because corals are expensive and I don’t want to find him dragging something around. Am I being to paranoid?? All corals are glued down beside a few hammers I removed to allow more access to try and clean the algae.
There is no need to worry, just look at my tank lol
20240111_170737.jpg

Do not use fluconazole for such a small amount of GHA, if you're worried about it there are alot of CUC that will eat it, @ISpeakForTheSeas could help you with that

OP
OP
Trent H

Trent H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to worry, just look at my tank lol
20240111_170737.jpg

Do not use fluconazole for such a small amount of GHA, if you're worried about it there are alot of CUC that will eat it, @ISpeakForTheSeas could help you with that
thank you I know it could always be worse!! I’m happy with my tank everything is finally being stable and I’m seeing growth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back