My first reef! JBJ 45

Trent H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello this is my build thread for my first reef tank! I purchased this tank used off of FB market place for a pretty good deal I think $450 I really wanted a IM but just couldn't imagine dropping over $1000 for a new tank and not even know if the hobby was right for me! Well let me tell you I've really really been enjoying the hobby so far everybody has been very helpful and I thank you for that!
Gear run down
Tank-JBJ 45 Aio
Return pump Jerbao DC 2000 l/h
Heater-200 Watt (Dual Element) Helio PTC Smart Heater
Wave maker-Mp10
Ato-Duetto2 Dual sensor
Ato reservor-Bashsea 5gal
Light-XR15 G6 pro with RMS light mount
LId-Clearview Pisces EXO
Light shade is from- @chemisfun11
Rock-Caribsea life rock
Sand-Caribsea Fiji Pink
RODi-Liquagen with BRS Triple DI saver
Filtration-2 InTank media baskets with inTank filter floss and its of pond matrix for biological filtration

Now onto the fun Stuff!! I first started to build a stand for my mixing station 2 brute 20 gal cans that I will eventually plumb together with a pump so I can hook the python water change system right up to the station and pump it upstairs to the tank heres what I came up with!
IMG_5355.jpeg

I ended up cutting alot off the legs off and installing some casters so could move it if I need to as well as stained and sealed.
IMG_6222.jpeg

Next I wanted to build a control board so I came up with this
IMG_5323.jpeg

I painted it white and installed a couple magnets to hold the front face on and I can remove it easily to get to any wires I may need to in the future.
IMG_5408.jpeg

IMG_5409.jpeg

This is the front panel
next on my list was to make water changes as easy and fast as possible so I came up with the phyton water change system that I hook up to the laundry tub next to my mixing station. I installed some pvc to use as a chase to upstairs under my sink this is what it looks like.
IMG_5485.jpeg
IMG_5486.jpeg

so all I have to do is hook about a 10 foot piece of tubing up to under the sink and turn on the water downstairs and we are flowing!
Next was aquascape it was the hardest out of all things I did I'm not totally in love with it but it will do just fine for my first time the Dimensions of the tank was really hard to make sure I had decent hight and the Caribsea rocks are not friendly when it comes to modifying them with that bright white inside.... I'll use Marco rock next time.
IMG_5329.jpeg

IMG_5330.jpeg
IMG_5331.jpeg

It is time to move the tank upstairs and get it level and put in the rock and sand!
IMG_5476.jpeg
IMG_5498.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg

I cycled the tank with fritz turbo start and algae barn Nh3 I started there cycle on 4-3-23 and added my first fish 5-9-23! This was a very nervous event but we are doing great!
IMG_5687.jpeg

I ordered two Longfin Mocha Storms from cultivated reef.
IMG_5707.jpeg

IMG_6167.jpeg

I didn't really document to much after this but I got my lid, light and light shade.
IMG_6189.jpeg
IMG_6176.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg

And that's how the tank stands today Im waiting on a par meter so I can dial in my lights and trying to make the right choice of what others fish I can add to the tank. I almost forgot I also have a basic QT tank set up and ready for new fish!
IMG_6071.jpeg

Thanks for checking out my build thread ill continue to update it as the tank progresses! Any tips or advice is welcome!
Happy Reefing!!

OP
OP
Trent H

Trent H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this. All of it. You’ve done really well. It reminds me of my own first build (6 months ago lol).

I’m eager to watch this one progress!
I Appreciate that! ive been taking it very slow and trying to think of ways to make it as easy as possible!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
your build looks great also a lot of similarities! I also have the wifi power strip its super convenient!

They are very convenient!

However there were about 2 or 3 occasions where I got back home from something, checked on the tanks, and found that the schedule I had created in the power strip's app hadn't turned my filter or return pump back on. It really shook my faith in them.

Since then I've gotten an EB832 and plug my pumps and heaters into that so I can get notifications if things don't get turned back on according to the programming. I've kept the power strip though, and actually needed to return to using it when my Apex Jr failed :confounded-face: (I'll be making a post about that soon).

Anyway, they're still great options as long as you don't rely too heavily on them, and double check that they do what they're supposed to be doing! :)

OP
OP
Trent H

Trent H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very convenient!

However there were about 2 or 3 occasions where I got back home from something, checked on the tanks, and found that the schedule I had created in the power strip's app hadn't turned my filter or return pump back on. It really shook my faith in them.

Since then I've gotten an EB832 and plug my pumps and heaters into that so I can get notifications if things don't get turned back on according to the programming. I've kept the power strip though, and actually needed to return to using it when my Apex Jr failed :confounded-face: (I'll be making a post about that soon).

Anyway, they're still great options as long as you don't rely too heavily on them, and double check that they do what they're supposed to be doing!
good to know ill make sure I keep and eye on it! id like to get a controller one day just not today

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back