Algae ID Help (possibly Lobo)

CayoHueso

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 27, 2023
Messages
87
Reaction score
22
Location
Key West
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on what these spots are? I'm guessing Lobophora. This is my first tank and my first run in with algae. I noticed the brown/tan spots/discoloration first. But tonight I noticed the black spots for the first time. I'm thinking it's lobo that hitchhiked in with my emerald crab. I also think his been picking it off and that may be the tan spots. Or it all may be lobo, or maybe something completely different. If I can see it so easily on the epoxy, I assume it's also all over the rock work. I read a post from another user who had success treating lobo with flucanozole. Considering treating before it gets out of control. Thoughts?

IMG_3989.jpg IMG_3990.jpg IMG_3991.jpg
 
You can see both the light spots and dark spots have increased in size and number since these two photos were taken on Wednesday.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3980.jpg
    IMG_3980.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 75
tested Nitrates and Phosphates. I was out of town last week and had an auto feeder set to feed 3 times daily so I thought I might have over fed the tank. Nitrate was at 14.4 ppm and Phosphate was 0.15 ppm. I had just done a 10% water change the day before.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new