Algae ID Help

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 12, 2017
Messages
67
Reaction score
24
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have had my 28 gallon AIO setup for about a month now. The rocks were cycled in a plastic bin for 2 months before adding to the tank. I have recently had a bunch oh algae crop up and I want to make sure I know what type it is. I am hoping my tank is still settling in and it will go away on its own but let me know if you think I need to do anything in particular. Below are two pictures of the algae in question. I currently have a tunze 9004 skimmer which isn't pulling too much at the moment. The bioload on the tank is fairly low, there is one clown and a few snails / hermit crabs.

Please let me know what you think the algae is and if I should use any additional products to help get rid of it. ( Phosguard, chemipure blue etc... )

Thanks,
Nathan

IMG_20170709_140001.jpg
IMG_20170709_140011.jpg
 
Looks like Red Cyanobacteria
 
That is what I thought at first but then it started to look a bit more like hair algae.
 
I tried treating using chemiclean to see if it was cyanobacteria but it had no effect so I don't think that is what it is. I also measured my phosphates and they were essentially 0.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new