Algae ID help

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I thought was the start of diatom now looks like Dino. I cannot tell which one it is. I have brown patches in my substrate and noticed a growing number of tiny air bubbles.

Any help would be appreciated

E9B6AF51-0078-4442-85F1-821489BFCD68.jpeg

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s getting that snotty look of Dino. What are you parameters? Dino usually comes knocking when your No3 and PO4 are nil.
Microscope view is the best way to find out for sure and what kind it could be. You could waste a lot of time “treating “ the wrong one.
The sticky thread in this forum on Dino’s is very helpful, if not a little overwhelming with info but it gives you hope. Get some carbon running just in case.

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s getting that snotty look of Dino. What are you parameters? Dino usually comes knocking when your No3 and PO4 are nil.
Microscope view is the best way to find out for sure and what kind it could be. You could waste a lot of time “treating “ the wrong one.
The sticky thread in this forum on Dino’s is very helpful, if not a little overwhelming with info but it gives you hope. Get some carbon running just in case.
My nitrates have been around 5-10. I definitely don’t want to be treating the wrong one. It’s a new tank that cycled fairly recently.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read if it is dinos some say to feed more. But I've already been heavy feeding I'm not too sure this was why

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested PO4 just now and I'm pretty sure its 0 or very close to zero.
Since very low PO4 is okay (zero is not) I wouldn't feel comfortable about telling you to increase your PO4 if you are not sure exactly where you are at on it. I was using an API PO4 checker that was reading zero only to find that my PO4 was through the roof (using Hanna ULR checker now) because i was dosing Phosphate based on the zero reading from API. You can wait it out....see if this passes another ugly phase or do the dino test then proceed from there.

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it just be from not enough flow there? Also I heard its toxic for snails.. a couple of my snails mowed right through it and are still normal? (if it's dinos). No access to microsope now

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it just be from not enough flow there? Also I heard its toxic for snails.. a couple of my snails mowed right through it and are still normal? (if it's dinos). No access to microsope now
You may be good then though I had confirmed Dino’s and I didn’t loose any of my cuc eaither. I’d run a little carbon till you know for sure. Up your flow in that area and try to increase your PO4 a bit if you think it’s 0.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back