Algae ID please

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a 20g nuvo that I started with all dry rock. The tank is a year old and I have noted that this algae showed up about 2-3 months in and in the sandbed. It just disappeared after a while and never really took off. I've recently changed up the tank to be an SPS tank so the lights and flow have been cranked up and the algae reappeared. It looks like it could be bryopsis but at the same time I don't think its looks quite ferny enough. So I'm not sure. I've had GHA in my other tank but that algae looked more slimy than firm. Any ideas on what it is and how to combat it?

Nitrate 0.6 ppm
Phosphate .07 ppm

My nutrients have been pretty stable for the past 2 months since I made the change.
Phosphate I've between 0.03 - .1 ppm
Nitrates seem to fluctuate between 0.2 - 8 ppm

20231201_161350.jpg 20231201_161402.jpg

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Byropsis for the first pic, second looks like a mix of byropsis and something else I can’t ID

OP
OP
M

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun times. I'm thinking of throwing a tuxedo urchin in there. It's only growing a few spots here and there so I'll pick those out and see if the urchin takes care of the rest.

OTReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun times. I'm thinking of throwing a tuxedo urchin in there. It's only growing a few spots here and there so I'll pick those out and see if the urchin takes care of the rest.
If it gets out of hand, brs sells a product called flux rx by blue vet rx. When used correctly it’s absolutely amazing to clear out byropsis.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back