vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like ostreo
Siphon up well, turn off white lighting and reduce blues to 5%
during the day, add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons daily and at night add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons both for 5-7 days
No not feed coral foods or NoPox to the tank during this period
Clean filters and empty skimmer cup daily
It will be defeated

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostreo
Siphon up well, turn off white lighting and reduce blues to 5%
during the day, add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons daily and at night add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons both for 5-7 days
No not feed coral foods or NoPox to the tank during this period
Clean filters and empty skimmer cup daily
It will be defeated
I'll give this a shot again - I ended up breaking down the entire tank and they still wouldn't go away I got a UV running too and that did not even help.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I had the same kind as you but looked similar I didn’t have microscope, I am currently beating what I believe is dino. Siphon up much as I can stop water changes for a moment. Trying to get nitrates up some is what’s working that and siphon. Let the glass get dirty seeing more copepods not sure if that’s helping or not, I reduced flow(idk why just did and it’s stopped coming up for the last week or so.) I’m not saying this will work for you but just what I’m doing trying to avoid chemicals and stuff I have coral and crabs and snails star fish etc

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I had the same kind as you but looked similar I didn’t have microscope, I am currently beating what I believe is dino. Siphon up much as I can stop water changes for a moment. Trying to get nitrates up some is what’s working that and siphon. Let the glass get dirty seeing more copepods not sure if that’s helping or not, I reduced flow(idk why just did and it’s stopped coming up for the last week or so.) I’m not saying this will work for you but just what I’m doing trying to avoid chemicals and stuff I have coral and crabs and snails star fish etc
I’ll try reducing flow while bumping up nitrates, I’ve increased my flow since getting dinos which moght be part of the issue

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of bubbles cling to the dinos….very odd but I am bumping up nitrates and scrubbing things down daily. Might try hydrogen peroxide again.
A74215FE-7D52-4E0D-AC31-A87C8354C0EB.jpeg

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reading 0 on the salifert kit, I’ve been dosing the recommended amount every day too….
What kind of food do you feed? Do you feed daily/heavy also? I would like to think if you can get your nitrates up a bit then you will see a decrease in Dino’s then just try to keep stable and they should clear up.(this is what seemed to work for me so far, I am fairly new to the hobby)

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of food do you feed? Do you feed daily/heavy also? I would like to think if you can get your nitrates up a bit then you will see a decrease in Dino’s then just try to keep stable and they should clear up.(this is what seemed to work for me so far, I am fairly new to the hobby)
Just a small chunk of mysis. I only have a gramma, clown and pajama cardinal

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small chunk of mysis. I only have a gramma, clown and pajama cardinal
I have 2 clowns 1 hawk fish and 1 goby I just added I feed twice a day.(rods food equivalent to 1/2 a cube or so each feeding doing this raised my nitrates slowly but I seen small bacteria bloom it’s clearing up now) maybe you could feed more times per day it may help elevate your nitrates… just an opinion to research

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other advice here…..
You got the advice you need from @vetteguy53081 you just seemed to gloss over it and said you tried other things. It worked well for me just did it around Xmas and all dinos gone. Do it exactly as he says and hopefully it works as well for you as it did for me. I had lps and acros in the tank with no issues.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got the advice you need from @vetteguy53081 you just seemed to gloss over it and said you tried other things. It worked well for me just did it around Xmas and all dinos gone. Do it exactly as he says and hopefully it works as well for you as it did for me. I had lps and acros in the tank with no issues.
I tried it before but had no luck, I’ll give it another go and see what happens. Hopefully better luck this time

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read lots of good stuff about hydrogen peroxide not only to help beat Dino’s but some people dip corals in it and other stuff too, I didn’t dose hydrogen peroxide only because i was worried it would mess with some of my sensitive coral and maybe my urchin and starfish may not like it…… I would like to echo the fact that @vetteguy53081 knows his stuff and any advice he gives is as good as gold!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read lots of good stuff about hydrogen peroxide not only to help beat Dino’s but some people dip corals in it and other stuff too, I didn’t dose hydrogen peroxide only because i was worried it would mess with some of my sensitive coral and maybe my urchin and starfish may not like it…… I would like to echo the fact that @vetteguy53081 knows his stuff and any advice he gives is as good as gold!
Have read of this tread. All kind of Dino treatment can be foun here for osteoporosis
Thread 'Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it before but had no luck, I’ll give it another go and see what happens. Hopefully better luck this time
did you do it the exact way he said? What he told me was to do either lights out if possible or super low blues for 5 days. Dose peroxide at night according to the ratio he gave and to do that at least 4-6 times. I wasn’t able to get any of the bacteria like he says to use but I had fantastic results without that. I did three days of lights out to start but because I have corals I didn’t want to go to long so day 4 I turned blue to 5% and white to 1% for 8 hours then day 5 I bumped that to 10% blue and 3% white I think for 8 hours then slowly started ramping my lights back to where they were. Worked like a charm in my tank. Mine went from not that bad to verging on out of control over a couple days so his method seemed like the most effective in a short time period. I think you need to be running carbon if there is any decent amount of them because of the toxins they can produce but I’m not sure if that is only for certain types of Dino.

If you did that and it didn’t help then I really don’t know where to point you. If you want you can search the forums and find more detailed versions of his method. Hopefully this works out for you.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other advice here…..

Can you try to get another slide that is less dense and take a video at a higher magnification than the previous ones. Looks like it may be ostreopsis in the tank but the microscopic pics don't really look like it. If it is ostreopsis reducing lighting is only a cosmetic band aid that doesn't help get rid of it. A properly sized UV usually will control it in days most of the time. I would not buy a UV though until definitive ID is made. I would also run activated carbon as ostreopsis is the most toxic of dinos. Change it often if seeing signs of toxicity. Try to keep your nutrients up and dose NO3 and PO4 if needed to do do that. I aim for NO3 of 5-10 and PO4 of 0.06-0.12 when fighting dinos.

Ostreopsis will look like this.

Agree with dosing beneficial bacteria and any other form of biodiversity you can (live rock from a mature, dino free tank, phyto, pods, etc.). Also agree with slowly discontinuing any type of carbon dosing as it can fuel dinos as well as reduce nutrients.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try to get another slide that is less dense and take a video at a higher magnification than the previous ones. Looks like it may be ostreopsis in the tank but the microscopic pics don't really look like it. If it is ostreopsis reducing lighting is only a cosmetic band aid that doesn't help get rid of it. A properly sized UV usually will control it in days most of the time. I would not buy a UV though until definitive ID is made. I would also run activated carbon as ostreopsis is the most toxic of dinos. Change it often if seeing signs of toxicity. Try to keep your nutrients up and dose NO3 and PO4 if needed to do do that. I aim for NO3 of 5-10 and PO4 of 0.06-0.12 when fighting dinos.

Ostreopsis will look like this.

Agree with dosing beneficial bacteria and any other form of biodiversity you can (live rock from a mature, dino free tank, phyto, pods, etc.). Also agree with slowly discontinuing any type of carbon dosing as it can fuel dinos as well as reduce nutrients.
I ended up returning the microscope I got so I am unable to get another slide. But should I keep the carbon I have in my reactor or get rid of it? and what would be carbon dosing?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back