Algae ID

NaClH20Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I’m developing some dinos, but I am hoping not.
Note: air bubble production on rock seems to increase when the lights are on.
Brushed rock today and siphoned. Around 3 hours later seems a lot has come back.

Looking for a confirmation or another opinion on ID before I start my research on a treatment method.
Thanks.

90 gal reef
Started with dry BRS pukani rock
Live sand
Fritz turbo 900
Tank is 3 almost 4 months old.

Phosphate- .04 ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Alk- 9.1
pH- 8.3
CF2A0189-D8A5-4D1C-A41B-F0415559F274.jpeg
808B43A3-89A6-4C28-B864-4348328B9A0E.jpeg
E66374E3-AEBC-48D5-87AA-EDC792238846.jpeg
A45CD6D2-7094-42D5-A7E1-55CFFE6E588B.jpeg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried turning off the lights for a day or two? Could he dinos but I’m not absolutely sure. Your nutrients look good.

OP
OP
NaClH20Reefer

NaClH20Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried turning off the lights for a day or two? Could he dinos but I’m not absolutely sure. Your nutrients look good.

Yes it gets better then would come back. After a good scrub yesterday it seems today I don’t have near the amount of air bubbles on my rockwork. Hoping this is just my ugly phase. I have no experience with Dino’s though. That’s what I posted here. I’ve never seen GHA make bubbles but if it’s diatoms, cyano and GHA mixed due to the ugly phase then I’m sure it can produce oxygen bubbles.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it gets better then would come back. After a good scrub yesterday it seems today I don’t have near the amount of air bubbles on my rockwork. Hoping this is just my ugly phase. I have no experience with Dino’s though. That’s what I posted here. I’ve never seen GHA make bubbles but if it’s diatoms, cyano and GHA mixed due to the ugly phase then I’m sure it can produce oxygen bubbles.
My 40g looked just like that for a while after I got lights. Cyano, gha, diatoms, dinos, you name it. I started with dry rock too. Chemiclean knocked out the cyano, and Microbactor 7 plus dosing phosphorus and nitrogen took care of the rest. My nutrients zeroed out and caused a bunch of problems. Just be patient. Eventually it will clear up and your tank will be beautiful!

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos to me. Only thing I know of that comes back that fast during lights on time. Looks like snot.

I have heard of people getting some strains without bottoming out nutrients. Some have reported success in eliminating the bloom by maintaining the nutrients, reducing light on time/intensity, and using Microbacter 7. Once you see other types of algae growth, let it grow, don't remove. Only remove the dinos manually once they form large clumps. A baster works well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back