Algae ID

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a bit of help to 1) id this algae and 2) identify what cuc members would help control it.

I have a blue tuxedo urchin, margarita, cerith and trochas snails. Nobody seems to want to touch the stuff. Even when it’s a lot shorter and not so grown out.

The tank is a 15 gallon aio. I have in the past pulled the rocks out and sprayed with a mixture of peroxide and sea water but that just isn’t an appealing option now with the amount of hard/soft corals attached to the rocks. It was also a short term fix, I even did an entire rip clean method (new water, new sand) in hopes to just get rid of this stuff once and for all and it just creeps back. Not that it is overwhelming or killing corals. But I’d rather it be gone or at least managed by a little helper.

05AA0C55-8E91-4423-8513-A2DAB50FDD59.jpeg

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A close up picture would help. It looks like GHA to me. Can you add a lawn mower blenny?

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like GHA...get to the root of the problem ,which is getting your phosphates lower...

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
could be turf algae, or bryopsis mixed with GHA?. small amounts (in 3 areas) of what seems to be macro algae on the left, unsure what that is.

i would get 1 pitho crab, 1 emerald crab (make sure it is female, as they are reportedly less annoying to deal with than males), and about 4 blue legged hermit crabs. you can also get another 3 trochus snails. during water changes or routine checkups, make sure to pull as much of it out as you can.

edit: reefcleaners.com you can go to and order what was suggested. i would even suggest getting a good handful of dwarf cerith snails for the tight to reach places.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics very fuzzy but Looks to me like either wiry or bryopsis algae and reason they won’t touch it
You will have do with step:
Remove rock and scrub with peroxide or pull as much as you can by hand and remove the roots with a dental pick or small crochet needle. Once removed, place rock back in tank and add: chiton snails, emerald crab, pin cushion urchin and large astrea snails for control

OR

ADD fluconasal (flux) and still pick any remaining roots and lower white light intensity a few days

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your algae issue looks similar to mine... Skip the lawnmover blenny. I got sold one in place of more CUC and he really hasn't helped much, if at all.

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like GHA...get to the root of the problem ,which is getting your phosphates lower...
Phosphates are already within range and have been for a long time. Somewhere between 0.02 - 0.03, this is what the rock looks like after doing nothing since my rip clean back at the beginning of September.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a bit of help to 1) id this algae and 2) identify what cuc members would help control it.

I have a blue tuxedo urchin, margarita, cerith and trochas snails. Nobody seems to want to touch the stuff. Even when it’s a lot shorter and not so grown out.

The tank is a 15 gallon aio. I have in the past pulled the rocks out and sprayed with a mixture of peroxide and sea water but that just isn’t an appealing option now with the amount of hard/soft corals attached to the rocks. It was also a short term fix, I even did an entire rip clean method (new water, new sand) in hopes to just get rid of this stuff once and for all and it just creeps back. Not that it is overwhelming or killing corals. But I’d rather it be gone or at least managed by a little helper.

05AA0C55-8E91-4423-8513-A2DAB50FDD59.jpeg
Elysia Crispata can help, if it eats everything look into supplementing it

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be turf algae, or bryopsis mixed with GHA?. small amounts (in 3 areas) of what seems to be macro algae on the left, unsure what that is.

i would get 1 pitho crab, 1 emerald crab (make sure it is female, as they are reportedly less annoying to deal with than males), and about 4 blue legged hermit crabs. you can also get another 3 trochus snails. during water changes or routine checkups, make sure to pull as much of it out as you can.

edit: reefcleaners.com you can go to and order what was suggested. i would even suggest getting a good handful of dwarf cerith snails for the tight to reach places.
Current inhabitants are a yellow banded possum wrasse, sharknose goby, court jester goby, Tailspot blenny, spotted filefish, and a clown. Would I need to worry about any of those fish if I added a emerald or pitho crab?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Current inhabitants are a yellow banded possum wrasse, sharknose goby, court jester goby, Tailspot blenny, spotted filefish, and a clown. Would I need to worry about any of those fish if I added a emerald or pitho crab?
no. i have 2 pitho's and 2 emeralds in my 40B. my corals, fish, and other inverts are untouched - but i also make sure they are fed too, to avoid conflict.

does your court jester goby help any with the algae? mine is a constant worker.

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does your court jester goby help any with the algae? mine is a constant worker.

The court jester is constantly picking at the rocks along with the tailspot. I don't know how much of a dent he's putting in this specific algae though.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are already within range and have been for a long time. Somewhere between 0.02 - 0.03, this is what the rock looks like after doing nothing since my rip clean back at the beginning of September.
unfortunately you are getting a false reading. The algae is feeding the algae and being consumed. Start getting rid of the algae and watch the phosphates climb.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately you are getting a false reading. The algae is feeding the algae and being consumed. Start getting rid of the algae and watch the phosphates climb.

Thanks for the 101 lesson. It is very helpful.

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial decision was to purchase a sea slug and a pitho crab. None of the fish stores in my area have either. What was more interesting is nobody at any of the stores had even heard of a pitho crab. They all recommended emerald crabs but I don’t want to take the chances considering they can be little menaces from time to time.
Current plan is to buy 5 - 6 little blue legged hermit crabs and see what they can manage on their own. I’ll pick up a sea slug once a store has one in stock in the area. (Hopefully next week)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back