Algae ID

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this algae that grows on rocks and resembles a brownish hair algae but anchors itself insanely well. I cannot seem to find anything about this stuff.
IMG_5199.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it looks like I the tank

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is!!! Did you ever ID it or get rid of it?
My rocks looked like Ewoks. I never knew for sure, but it came from my nutrients bottoming out due to overuse of gfo and nopox. I’ll go back to my build thread to see if anyone id’d it for me. It gradually cleared up once my nitrates and phosphates weren’t zero anymore. I’ll get back to you after I check my thread.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is!!! Did you ever ID it or get rid of it?
My rocks looked like Ewoks. I never knew for sure, but it came from my nutrients bottoming out due to overuse of gfo and nopox. I’ll go back to my build thread to see if anyone id’d it for me. It gradually cleared up once I had nutrients in the system again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is chrsophytes and will have to be manually removed. Pull rock and place in container of tank water and scrub with a firm toothbrush and peroxide or my preference - Auto detail brush (see Below)
After scrubbing, agitate in water to release any loose particle and place back in tank, reduce white light intensity and add cleaners such as:
Ninja star snails
Pitho crab
pencil urchin
Chiton snails

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is chrsophytes and will have to be manually removed. Pull rock and place in container of tank water and scrub with a firm toothbrush and peroxide or my preference - Auto detail brush (see Below)
After scrubbing, agitate in water to release any loose particle and place back in tank, reduce white light intensity and add cleaners such as:
Ninja star snails
Pitho crab
pencil urchin
Chiton snails
See I’ve been looking at chrysophytes and lyngbya but the cell structures are completely different. I’ve noticed a decline in growth after raising nutrients and maintaining a stable alkalinity. With zero coral in my tank and only rock I have a daily dkh usage of around .3-.4.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
See I’ve been looking at chrysophytes and lyngbya but the cell structures are completely different. I’ve noticed a decline in growth after raising nutrients and maintaining a stable alkalinity. With zero coral in my tank and only rock I have a daily dkh usage of around .3-.4.
It’s bacterial no doubt and scrubbing is only effective means

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 87 46.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back