Algae identification and removal

Pavelka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this algae for a little while on my 5-6 month old tank, any recommendations for removal and what type is it?

00E3A71A-F1FA-4B0C-AFAF-DAE3FB16E2E2.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like green hair algae. It is common in new tanks.

The only thing you can do is scrub it clean with a tooth brush and do regular water changes.

What are your nitrate and phosphate test numbers?

Did you use live rock or dry rock when you set up your tank?

OP
OP
Pavelka1

Pavelka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like green hair algae. It is common in new tanks.

The only thing you can do is scrub it clean with a tooth brush and do regular water changes.

What are your nitrate and phosphate test numbers?

Did you use live rock or dry rock when you set up your tank?
I do not have a phosphate test yet. however my nitrate test is reading 0 on the API test kit. And I used Marco rock (dead rock)

OP
OP
Pavelka1

Pavelka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae will consume your nitrates. How long have you had it for?
I had a previous hair algae that was more easy to remove but it went away. The more dark green hair algae as seen in the photo has been around for around a month and a half and has been slow growing but hard to remove. Would a tuxedo urchin help with this? I currently have a refugium, UV sterilizer and protein skimmer going.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, it looks like bryopsis. The best way to remove it would be with fluconazole or reefflux. Do some searching on bryopsis and see if what you have matches and look up treatment with fluconazole. There are a fair few threads on here about treating it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a phosphate test yet. however my nitrate test is reading 0 on the API test kit. And I used Marco rock (dead rock)

Never heard of macro rock. But if it is truly "dead" rock, there there are a lot of organics in the rock. I would have cycled it before placing it in the tank.

Keep after it with manual removal. I expect it will calm down after a few months. Also, if you don't have a cleanup crew in your tank, add one.

Also, try and avoid bottled solutions to your problem. At first, it may solve the problem, but without identifying to root cause, it will only come back once you stop using the bottled product. This hobby is expensive enough without adding the cost of purchasing bottled solutions on a monthly basis.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Pavelka1

Pavelka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, it looks like bryopsis. The best way to remove it would be with fluconazole or reefflux. Do some searching on bryopsis and see if what you have matches and look up treatment with fluconazole. There are a fair few threads on here about treating it.
Thank you, It does not appear to look like bryopsis. But I will keep doing water changes and manual removal

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Full frame

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back