Algae Identification

FloridaReefer2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help in identifying my algae. The photos are not the best, but it’s a dark brown almost mat like algae with the occasional bubble. Tank is a year old.
Nitrates: 10-20
Phosphates: 0.25
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 79

Thanks for the help!

IMG_0666.jpeg IMG_0667.jpeg IMG_0668.jpeg IMG_0669.jpeg

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like GHA and cyano. The rusty color and bubbles are indicative of cyano and the structure clearly indicated hair algae. Very typical for a 1 yo tank. I notice it is by far most prevalent on the middle rock which is typical as the lighting is likely much more intense up top middle. Cyano can easily be blown off/sucked out with a turkey baster and GHA can be scrubbed off with a toothbrush. It will come back and you just have to keep at it. Alternatively you could kill the GHA with hydrogen peroxide which is much more effective but has its risks. Mostly that it will damage coralline, however it recovers quickly in my experience.
Astrea snails are the best I have found in terms of staying up high on the rocks. Once coralline has become established algae will be much more easy to manage. Your coralline looks well established and ready to bust out just be sure to stay on top of alk/calc.

OP
OP
FloridaReefer2023

FloridaReefer2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like GHA and cyano. The rusty color and bubbles are indicative of cyano and the structure clearly indicated hair algae. Very typical for a 1 yo tank. I notice it is by far most prevalent on the middle rock which is typical as the lighting is likely much more intense up top middle. Cyano can easily be blown off/sucked out with a turkey baster and GHA can be scrubbed off with a toothbrush. It will come back and you just have to keep at it. Alternatively you could kill the GHA with hydrogen peroxide which is much more effective but has its risks. Mostly that it will damage coralline, however it recovers quickly in my experience.
Astrea snails are the best I have found in terms of staying up high on the rocks. Once coralline has become established algae will be much more easy to manage. Your coralline looks well established and ready to bust out just be sure to stay on top of alk/calc.
Thank you for taking the time to examine and provide feedback! Much appreciated, and I’ll just keep scrubbing and removing the algae until the coralline takes over.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back