Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 36 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 41 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

Macroalgae is both beautiful and very functional. Of course, this statement applies when it isn’t struggling and one of the things that can cause macroalgae to struggle, in addition to poor lighting and nutrition, is when it is surrounded by unwanted algae. Whether it is in the display tank, in an algae scrubber, in a algae reactor, or in refugium, when unwanted algae shows up it can be a problem. Has this happened to you? Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae? If so, please let us know how you have dealt with it and tell us about your experience with unwanted algae in your macroalgae.

Deltec_AlgaeReactdor.jpg

Photo by Deltec

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get the mushy clumpy GHA that grows in the fronds of my gracilaria. I can't tell if there's too much iron, or not enough light or flow or something else. It ends up taking over unless I constantly remove clumps of it >_<

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chaeto in my make shift refugium in my redsea e170. I get green hair algae with it all the time. As far as I am concerned I just need to clean it up a bit every week. In my opinion the point of the refugium is to take extra nutrients out of the display, so isn't the "pest" algae doing that too?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Fuge was a failure. GHA overtook my Pom Pom which otherwise was thriving. Next Fuge I'm going to run it post all filtration to eliminate GHA spores from contacting it. Seems GHA the dominate species as it pertains to Pom Pom. Perhaps other macroalgae fair better.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to grow chaeto in my refugium but it kept on getting outcompeted by the mix of algae that grows in turf scrubbers. I ultimately decided to remove the chaeto and now I just grow the turf algae on plastic pot scrubbers sitting in pond baskets in the refugium. Solid growth and easy to harvest.

IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4203.jpeg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bubble algae growing with my Chaeto. Occasionally I'll just pull out a clump of it and toss it in the display tank (I can hear the gasps now:eek:), but the rabbit and tangs destroy it in seconds.:D

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to grow chaeto in my refugium but it kept on getting outcompeted by the mix of algae that grows in turf scrubbers. I ultimately decided to remove the chaeto and now I just grow the turf algae on plastic pot scrubbers sitting in pond baskets in the refugium. Solid growth and easy to harvest.

IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4203.jpeg
That's an awesome application. Been trying to figure out how to grow GHA without an ATS and this solves it. No sense spending on chaeto or Pom Pom when GHA free.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome application. Been trying to figure out how to grow GHA without an ATS and this solves it. No sense spending on chaeto or Pom Pom when GHA free.
Yes the setup is essentially a makeshift algae turf scrubber using stuff I already had. The only thing I needed to buy was the plastic pot scrubbers which are cheap. The chaeto could not compete against the turf algae. I removed chaeto from the two baskets and cleaned out the turf algae multiple times but it kept coming back. Over time the chaeto started to get brittle and fall apart. I then decided to switch to the setup shown. I am thinking about reducing the number of pot scrubbers slightly to give the turf algae more room to grow.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the setup is essentially a makeshift algae turf scrubber using stuff I already had. The only thing I needed to buy was the plastic pot scrubbers which are cheap. The chaeto could not compete against the turf algae. I removed chaeto from the two baskets and cleaned out the turf algae multiple times but it kept coming back. Over time the chaeto started to get brittle and fall apart. I then decided to switch to the setup shown. I am thinking about reducing the number of pot scrubbers slightly to give the turf algae more room to grow.
That's what was happening in my DIY HOB Fuge. GHA grew on top of the Pom Pom. Tried placing a screen horizontal but wasn't as effective. Couldn't figure out what else to use. Considered ping pongs which are used for reducing evaporation but floated too high. Never crossed my mind to use pot scrubbers although have considered them for biological. Go figure.

Have the pond baskets. Was going to float chaeto on them. Now you've solved my problem. Lazy as I am. I'll just throw them in a bucket with citric acid.

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae on my Codium and Halymenia, both slow growth algae, but not on the other species.
Is it related ? Time will tell

NewbieC123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4203.jpeg
How often do you clean those out? Do you have a formula for how many plastic scrubbers to how many gallons you use?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you clean those out? Do you have a formula for how many plastic scrubbers to how many gallons you use?
I currently pull out the algae every two weeks or so but am only running the refugium lights for 8 hours at night since my nutrients were low and I did not have much nuisance algae in the display tank. I used to run the refugium as much as 14 hours a day when I was dealing with a massive GHA outbreak in the display tank. For the pot scrubbers I bought a pack of 15 on Amazon for $10.99 and put 7 in each basket and use the spare one in my laundry room sink. I have been planning to reduce the pot scrubber count to 4-5 to see if more water area allows the turf algae to grow better. Right now I get the most growth on the sides of the pond baskets. I got plastic put scrubbers since they provide surface area for beneficial bacteria, substrate for turf algae to grow, and homes for copepods.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I usually get a little hair algae growing in my sump around the edges where the flow is almost nonexistent. No biggie, just grab a hand full and toss it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back