Algae is the only thing that Grows

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manually remove what you can and keep doing it. Scrub rocks outside of tank. Clean up crew isn’t as effective eating long strands. I had a lot of luck with a sea hair in addition to manual removal. I feel like medications tend to bring other uglies. Also my yellow and tomini tang keep whatever grows at bay and haven’t seen a spec of hair algae in a long time.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Smaller tank, but you might consider a lawnmower blenny. We just got a replacement and he has been in our 3 tank observation QT for 2-3 weeks. For whatever reason the tank we put him in is the only on of the three that has hair algae. It was covering the back of the tank. It is pretty much gone now.

steve 1965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get at my wit's end. The only thing in my tank that seems to grow is hair algae and I cannot figure out why.

The tank has been up for about 7 months now, last fish add was about 2 months ago. I have a RODI system I use for water. I do 10-12% water changes weekly. My parameters don't seem out of whack:
Phosphates: 0.1
Nitrates: 5
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 8.15
Temp: 78F

I have purchased 3 separate balls of chaeto and they all eventually die in a refugium running on an opposite light cycle with a GRO light (10 hours). The only thing that seems to grow in the fuge is a back sludge despite the extra powerhead in there to keep flow.

As far as the DT goes, I run the lights for 7 hours at 10%, as the fish use it for feeding triggers. I have 2 powerheads in addition to the return that is about 600-700 GPH. The hair algae grows like mad. I suck a whole bunch out every week and most of it is back during the next water change. I have not run my skimmer in at least a month (one is present).

I added 3 quarts of pods to the refugium and 3 quarts to the main tank (@Reef By Steele special - great customer service) and started dosing phyto. I cannot see any pods in either the DT or refugium, so I assume they've all died like anything non-fish despite having hotels and plenty of rock.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? I would prefer not to dose chemicals, but I'm getting sick of having a lousy-looking tank. If it is part of the ugly phase, so be it, but it'd be good to know either way.
So beneficial bacteria like Dr Tim’s or microbacter 7 will help your system compete against the these nutrients needed for the hair algae to survive. Also turn on the skimmer. Right now don’t worry so much about your Nitrates just keep your phosphates below0.10. You will have to manually remove some. Also there are tangs that will eat this along with some ther fish and crabs snails. Pods are good but alone won’t help you. To me it’s all about out competing your nutrients that are feeding your hair algae so to
Me adding benificial bacteria would be my number one thing to do. Also go on you tube and look for videos from BRS. They have very good info on this subject. Be patient

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back