Algae issue

Zinx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really been struggling with an out break of this type of algae shown in picture, and it somehow grew rapidly with nearly undetectable levels of nitrate and phosphate.
Since it started to grow a few weeks ago my torches have shriveled up and will most likely die. What type of algae is this and how do I combat it? Thanks
20201023_141647.jpg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: answer below. I do know that having really low nutrients usually leads to bad types of algae outbreaks

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero (undetectable) nitrate & zero phosphate are a recipe for disaster in a reef tank. All living organism need nitrogen & phosphate to grow. When these nutrients are not available in the bulk water, desirables struggle and opportunistic/undesirable algae thrive.

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really been struggling with an out break of this type of algae shown in picture, and it somehow grew rapidly with nearly undetectable levels of nitrate and phosphate.
Since it started to grow a few weeks ago my torches have shriveled up and will most likely die. What type of algae is this and how do I combat it? Thanks
20201023_141647.jpg
Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals, add CUC if you don’t have and a tang or 2 depending on tank size and lawnmower blenny. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zinc
Welcome to the addiction. I have been hooked for 48 years. I see this is your first post. You have GHA, green hair algae. Harvest as much as you can by hand and compost your tomatoes with it. Get some janitors to eat that stuff up. However, you are the Big Janitor that needs to do sand bed maintenance with gravel vacuming.

Green Hair Algae
hair algae 300x225
hairalgae2 300x181

Green Hair Algae or "GHA" is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA.

Manual Removal: Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and tooth brushed or scrubbed off the rock work. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand sift it out with a net.

Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.

OP
OP
Zinx

Zinx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zinc
Welcome to the addiction. I have been hooked for 48 years. I see this is your first post. You have GHA, green hair algae. Harvest as much as you can by hand and compost your tomatoes with it. Get some janitors to eat that stuff up. However, you are the Big Janitor that needs to do sand bed maintenance with gravel vacuming.

Green Hair Algae
hair algae 300x225
hairalgae2 300x181

Green Hair Algae or "GHA" is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA.

Manual Removal: Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and tooth brushed or scrubbed off the rock work. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand sift it out with a net.

Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.
@Zinc

Green Hair Algae
hair algae 300x225
hairalgae2 300x181

Okay thanks for the info! I do gravel vacc pretty frequently although it has very little effect as it is attached into 50% of my coarse sand bed. And the sand is the only place it really grows at the moment

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zinc
I see you show Australia for your location. Depending on your tank bio-type, you might consider some decorative macro as part of your aquascaping. I have lived on the Louisiana & Texas Gulf Coast and found myself wading in marsh grass and rock jetties for stuff to put in reef tank. See what Russ Kronwetter has to say about decorative macro:

Marine macro algae and sea grasses have had a long history of importance throughout the world, with their use dating back to ancient times. Today, many varieties have important economic and commercial value. Marine algae is used in thousands of products including fertilizer, bio-fuel, ice cream and even cosmetics. In several cultures it is highly prized as a food item and is a major part of some island diets. Its appearance in the aquarium industry began sometime in the late 1970’s, with several species of Caulerpa used mainly as tank decorations.​
With the many innovations over the past several decades in marine reef keeping, marine plants have increased in popularity among saltwater aquarists and large scale commercial aquariums. Today, many in the aquarium industry favor a more natural approach to marine aquarium keeping. Marine plants not only improve the health of fish and corals in captive systems, but are nature’s nutrient consumers, effectively removing nitrates and phosphates to nearly undetectable levels. Another benefit is the food value of many species of macro algae. In their natural environment, fish and invertebrates feed continuously during the day, consuming large amounts of micro and macro algae.
Photo by Chau Ho
A fairly new trend in the marine aquarium hobby is creating macro algae and sea grass dominated aquariums. These systems are quickly gaining popularity as a change from the normal "reef" setup. They are very popular with marine aquarists that are interested in keeping peaceful fish and invertebrates, such as seahorses, pipefish and dragonets. Just like a freshwater planted aquarium, there's something alluring and fascinating about the sheltered lagoon habitat where marine plants play host to juvenile fish and invertebrates. The world’s oceans are filled with a fascinating array of marine plants, some so striking and beautiful they often look like creatures from another world. As the marine aquarium hobby progresses, many more of these species should become available for the aquarist to observe and enjoy in the home aquarium.
Copyright © 2010 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks for the info! I do gravel vacc pretty frequently although it has very little effect as it is attached into 50% of my coarse sand bed. And the sand is the only place it really grows at the moment

Pull gha out by hand, including coarse gravel. If you want to recover your gravel, then soak it for 10 minutes in 10% solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide, rinse it off and reuse.

If your sandbed is coarse gravel, then it is likely your problem as a detritus trap.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back