Algae issues!

Pavelka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with this algae for a few months on my 10 month old reef tank. It’s growth has maintained constant in specific areas around the rock however it does not seem to be going away. I’m currently running a small refrugium in the back of the AIO with Cheato, UV sterilizer, protein skimmer and carbon+GFO. I’m contemplating on trying vibrant and/or adding a gfo reactor to my set up. I’m looking for any advice on whether I should do nothing or try something new.

92120B2F-4AB3-4355-BA42-456E26DB3A4A.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove what you can by hand during water changes. Keep parameters steady. Get a crab or snail with some coraline on it and scratch it off into a powerhead. Bolster your CuC.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That algae is no where near as bad as mine was at that age. It's all part of growing up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pavelka1

Pavelka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove what you can by hand during water changes. Keep parameters steady. Get a crab or snail with some coraline on it and scratch it off into a powerhead. Bolster your CuC.
That algae is no where near as bad as mine was at that age. It's all part of growing up.
It’s looks worse under white light but does not seem to be effecting corals, thank you for your support

Attachments

• 607CE51A-E0D1-4981-B4CA-060AF4D43E53.jpeg
    607CE51A-E0D1-4981-B4CA-060AF4D43E53.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When doing water changes get after it with your siphon and a toothbrush. Mine was at least twice as bad. Lasted 2 months. Haven't seen it since.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check your nitrate and phosphate, first thing to see if its elevated. An excess of available nutrients, particular the majors like phosphates and nitrates contribute to this. Keep an eye on possible iron and potassium sources which may also help fuel hair algae. Hair algae spores and fragments are so abundant that keeping it out of the tank via quarantine is unlikely to be successful. Your best bet to preventing this algae from taking hold is to maintain a weekly water change regimen, maintain your filtration and perform manual/natural algae removal as it forms. Proper magnesium and alkalinity levels are thought to discourage the growth of many species of GHA.
Green Hair Algae or GHA is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope. GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA.
Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and tooth brushed or scrubbed off the rock work. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand sift it out with a net.
Lastly- add some helpers such as Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Chitons, Turbo grazers, Sea Hare, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and astrea snails.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back