Algae Lighting issue?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I change the light settings? Single Hydra 32. 13” above water. Rock is 20-23” where the algae is growing. If so, any ideas what to change to?

IMG_1816.jpeg IMG_1817.jpeg IMG_1814.jpeg IMG_1813.jpeg IMG_1819.png IMG_1821.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of tank and parameters?

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of tank and parameters?
5 months. TBS rock. no added bacteria. Copepods 1/2 gal of Snacklepak once at ~1 month and again 3 months. and 16 once bottle of copepods 2 weeks ago.

1.025 (HW reefer) 10 gal weekly ~100g total volume)
pH 7.98
Temp 73
ammonia or nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
phosphate .01
alk 8.1
ChemiPure blue 22oz ~ 2 months old
don't bother with Mag or Ca since it's specie tank.
the skimmer should pulling everything out
last copepods ~1 month ago (add more?)
it's the height that it's growing at that I would think lighting. It is getting brighter from seasonal change in the room.
Cuc, ummm yeah...sand is dwarf cerith, nassarius, Giant cerith. Rock - pin cushion, limpets, many small blue legs, a couple trochus. (I just added 20 margarite since they can tolerate cold better) Astrea don't like it this cold.

I just did a water change but these are the last numbers.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 months. TBS rock. no added bacteria. Copepods 1/2 gal of Snacklepak once at ~1 month and again 3 months. and 16 once bottle of copepods 2 weeks ago.

1.025 (HW reefer) 10 gal weekly ~100g total volume)
pH 7.98
Temp 73
ammonia or nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
phosphate .01
alk 8.1
ChemiPure blue 22oz ~ 2 months old
don't bother with Mag or Ca since it's specie tank.
the skimmer should pulling everything out
last copepods ~1 month ago (add more?)
it's the height that it's growing at that I would think lighting. It is getting brighter from seasonal change in the room.
Cuc, ummm yeah...sand is dwarf cerith, nassarius, Giant cerith. Rock - pin cushion, limpets, many small blue legs, a couple trochus. (I just added 20 margarite since they can tolerate cold better) Astrea don't like it this cold.

I just did a water change but these are the last numbers.
Adding copepods won't make a difference anymore. Once they're in a tank their levels balance out to a sustained number. Only exception is if you have multiple fish that eat them and need to account.

Are you in the US? If so I would check out reefcleaners.org and look at their cleaner packages. Lots of times people find out their CuC is insufficient or could use a little more diversity.

You aren't wrong about the lighting though. Reducing the whites could help the problem also.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding copepods won't make a difference anymore. Once they're in a tank their levels balance out to a sustained number. Only exception is if you have multiple fish that eat them and need to account.

Are you in the US? If so I would check out reefcleaners.org and look at their cleaner packages. Lots of times people find out their CuC is insufficient or could use a little more diversity.

You aren't wrong about the lighting though. Reducing the whites could help the problem also.
yes, I've done reef cleaners. I'm limited with what I can add as a cuc right now. so just lower white light? Or UV? I was only really using the light to help the fauna (tunicates, sponges, cup coral) on the rock.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might lower the white a bit and the uv a bit more.
On maintence day, use a turkey baster and blow the surfaces / crevasses of the live rock before siphoning. I'd be tempted to toothbrush it as well.
Is there light from a window hitting the tank?
Could be a good location to add macro! Some feathery caulerpa would like nice there!

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might lower the white a bit and the uv a bit more.
On maintence day, use a turkey baster and blow the surfaces / crevasses of the live rock before siphoning. I'd be tempted to toothbrush it as well.
Is there light from a window hitting the tank?
Could be a good location to add macro! Some feathery caulerpa would like nice there!
I'm not sure what the octopus would react to. She might just pull it out. I was thinking of a couple Mermaids fans. but turning down the light more I would think it would impact plant growth. I basically lowered the Saxby setting by 25%. I have 2 windows that are getting brighter in the day but sun does not come through or shine on the tank. I am getting some macro growth now and tunicates seem OK.

IMG_1825.jpeg IMG_1824.jpeg IMG_1823.jpeg

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 months? Thats called the uglies. Syphon off what you can and let it run its course. Making drastic changes will only delay the maturing of the tank.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rock. this is lighting.
Unless we are talking about a tank swap live rock doesnt get rid of the uglies. Dry rock just has much uglier uglies.

Edit: that doesnt mean lighting isnt part of the problem. Im sure algae loves the leds just as much as you kids do.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rock. this is lighting.
Nah I’m not buying it… I’ve grown corals under power compacts, white vho, t5’s and halides that are yellow as crazy… no algae ever.. it’s a nutrient problem

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless we are talking about a tank swap live rock doesnt get rid of the uglies. Dry rock just has much uglier uglies.

Edit: that doesnt mean lighting isnt part of the problem. Im sure algae loves the leds just as much as you kids do.
Had a period of ugliest months ago. I did have the lighting on the moon setting which prolonged and shortened days. I’m wondering if that would be part of it.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a period of ugliest months ago. I did have the lighting on the moon setting which prolonged and shortened days. I’m wondering if that would be part of it.
Uglies isnt a one and done thing. Over the first 9-12 months it can pop up several times. It is the result of bio-diversity battling it out as the tank matures. If the numbers you posted are correct your nutrients are fine. Moon lighting can definitely feed algae growth but also your tank is still young. Keep doing what youve been doing, scrub/siphon off the algae that you can get at and let your clean up crew handle the rest. What ever you do dont go throwing some bottled crap in there to solve the 'problem'.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk… something getting through your rodi most likely if nitrates and phosphates check out decently. I always change my di resin any time I see 1 on my tds cause silicates start creeping and you get diatoms etc. are you making your water or getting it at a lfs?

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk… something getting through your rodi most likely if nitrates and phosphates check out decently. I always change my di resin any time I see 1 on my tds cause silicates start creeping and you get diatoms etc. are you making your water or getting it at a lfs?
The Octo could be generating a lot more waste now too but haven't seen it in the tests yet. she typically eats 2 oysters a night, or a medium raw shrimp, occasional snails. Possible remnants in the water but she eats the stuff in about 20-30 minutes so there's nothing unfinished. I've never checked my RODI water for anything else other than TDS meter on the device as well as a separate one I bought, pH and chlorine. I've probably only pumped through 50-75 gallons on the filters so far. only a little color change on the beads at the very bottom. I get the one rock that faces the front door that has brighter light at it now for some hair algae that I manually remove.
of my water return, there are 2 that have the double heads. on each, I have one pointed at the surface, while the other is pointed at the rock to keep a current down there. where this stuff is growing is where the water is blowing on it. I have only 1 MP40 with a cover that essentially protects the little explorers tentacles (most I had see had large slots) but in general I think I have enough current. Normally I change the socks every 5 days but this week went 7 since I was planning to be away for a bit.
last thought is I had turned off the moon setting a while ago. but for the past 2 weeks or so, the lighting I had issues. where it was turning off sooner and coming on later in the morning. I'm thinking the last power outage may have done something since I noticed that the moon setting was still on yesterday dn I turned it off. then, the lights were on a bit later and came on a bit earlier this morning. really think I need to play with the lighting more. (and of course we had another power failure this morning. 70 minutes)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back