Algae on frag plug

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’ve started to add some corals to my tank and noticed that there is a good amount of (hair?) algae on one of my zoa frag plugs. Should I do something about it? Or just let it be? I tried to pull the algae off with my fingers, but it seems like it’s on there pretty good. I attached a picture.

thanks!
164B9F1E-9E35-42D0-ADFD-6780B683988B.jpeg

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’ve started to add some corals to my tank and noticed that there is a good amount of (hair?) algae on one of my zoa frag plugs. Should I do something about it? Or just let it be? I tried to pull the algae off with my fingers, but it seems like it’s on there pretty good. I attached a picture.

thanks!
164B9F1E-9E35-42D0-ADFD-6780B683988B.jpeg
Remove from tank, spray or dab the algae with hydrogen peroxide. Job done.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits go nuts for algae. I keep a handful of frags on a rack and I rotate which gets put on the sand bed overnight for the crabs to eat. They love it and the next morning it’s perfectly clean

Kyle954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen Peroxide is your friend. A few drops of it and wait for about one minutes before putting it back into the water. Work great every time.
I’ve had algae on my plugs, as stated above this Method works for sure. Was scared to dip my higher end zoas in peroxide until I researched how effective it is! Good luck!

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a clearer picture of the algae? If that's Bryopsis it'll go away with the peroxide dip for a bit and come back. I had a frag with it that I dipped quite a few times in peroxide and it kept coming back.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dipped my zoas in hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes, it kills the algae and does no harm to the zoas. They may not open for a few days but I haven't lost one yet. A couple were dipped twice in 7 months.
I’ve dipped mine like 5 times in 2 months before. They get mad but that’s about it. I haven’t lost one yet to peroxide

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back