Opinions on 3d frag plugs

hortonr1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys opinion a on 3d printed frag plugs and tiles. Does soft coral like mushrooms and zoas actually stick to the plastic?

Barrett T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys opinion a on 3d printed frag plugs and tiles. Does soft coral like mushrooms and zoas actually stick to the plastic?
Soft coral basically weighs nothing, so I would be worried that these frag plugs will float if not glued down. (Most plastics will float even when printed at 100% infill)

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft coral basically weighs nothing, so I would be worried that these frag plugs will float if not glued down. (Most plastics will float even when printed at 100% infill)
i use only plastic frag plugs now. they will not float if printed properly, i just print them with 99 walls and its all wall and they look nice that way too. they are much lighter than ceramic so you will find them in the sand bed more often than ceramic if not glued in place, a huge draw back. for the pros, they are much easier to place in your rocks, and the hexagon shape i use makes the process of growing a coral off of a frag onto a rock much quicker and easier. the frags are also much easier to cut if you frag that way, you can put a pair of wire cutter through these if you have a firm hand shake. last pro is that they line up so nice on frag table , zoas and encrusters will move from A to B much quicker. they stick to the plastic just like any other surface. i use green lid gorilla glue gel, and will let it set for 1-2 minutes and never have had a polyp or SPS cut go missing. i will circle back here and post the .stl file ! i just have to find it..........

mastersushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3d printed plugs are too light weighted (plugs can be push around on egg crate racks easily). It takes a while to print 1 plug (not a 3-5min print. More like 10-20min per plug print). If you cut plastic with a 3d plier cutter. Plastic will shoot or fly (not good for fragging).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back