Algae on rear of tank

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was my tank, I would identify the nutrients feeding the algae and the source of the nutrients:

1. Check PO4(Phosphate) and NO3 (Nitrates). These are nutrients that feed algae. If elevated, try weekly water changes over several weeks and monitor for a reduction of those nutrients.

2. Do you run a sump? If so, does it have a refugium? Refugiums are great; very simply, you promote algae growth in the refugium so there are few nutrients left to feed the algae in the display tank. If you do not have a sump, there are many HOB ( Hang on Back) refugiums from which to choose.

3. Do you run a protein skimmer? Protein skimmers are the equivalent of a sewerage treatment plant. They remove fish waste from the water column BEFORE they can become nutrients that feed algae.

4. What is your light cycle? You could try reducing the number of hours the lights are on daily.

A picture of the algae your fighting with would be helpful. Not a closeup; preferably a whole tank shot that will allow us to see other things going on in the tank which could help solve the problem. Also, testing results for Ammonia and Nitrates.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrub the back 2 panels of my tank each week. I have a square tank. With the back panels clean I get a nice reflection making the tank seems 2x deeper than it is. The back panels have a black cloth backing.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the clean back wall as I think it gives it more 'depth' but its personal preference.

The Max S500 is similar to my 650 and I let the back wall get covered for 6 months before i cleaned it as I thought it might be beneficial to the system. It made the water cloudy but soon cleared up.

I clean mine about once every 3-4 weeks as soon as I see lots of little white specs appearing whatever they are, and then just get a long handled scraper. It only takes a few minutes and its clean again.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my back glass go.....don’t clean it. My Coral Beauty enjoys to nibble on it, and so does my Tuxedo Urchin :) I don’t mind how it looks at all. I use a canister filter, an HOB filter, and an HOB protein skimmer, so it hides some of the wires as well.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my back glass go.....don’t clean it. My Coral Beauty enjoys to nibble on it, and so does my Tuxedo Urchin :) I don’t mind how it looks at all. I use a canister filter, an HOB filter, and an HOB protein skimmer, so it hides some of the wires as well.

So I was thinking about getting an urchin(Black Long spine urchin) as part of my CUC. How is it? Any concerns keeping it in an aquarium?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking about getting an urchin(Black Long spine urchin) as part of my CUC. How is it? Any concerns keeping it in an aquarium?
None other than moving your frags around like any urchin will, if they are not glued down. Urchins scrub the rocks clean. I have had them in both of my acrylic tanks and have had no issues. They do need algae to eat. If you have none they will starve.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a blue tuxedo urchin, and he leaves my corals alone. They aren't the bulldozer that other urchins are. I love the little guy [emoji4]

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was my tank, I would identify the nutrients feeding the algae and the source of the nutrients:

1. Check PO4(Phosphate) and NO3 (Nitrates). These are nutrients that feed algae. If elevated, try weekly water changes over several weeks and monitor for a reduction of those nutrients.

2. Do you run a sump? If so, does it have a refugium? Refugiums are great; very simply, you promote algae growth in the refugium so there are few nutrients left to feed the algae in the display tank. If you do not have a sump, there are many HOB ( Hang on Back) refugiums from which to choose.

3. Do you run a protein skimmer? Protein skimmers are the equivalent of a sewerage treatment plant. They remove fish waste from the water column BEFORE they can become nutrients that feed algae.

4. What is your light cycle? You could try reducing the number of hours the lights are on daily.

A picture of the algae your fighting with would be helpful. Not a closeup; preferably a whole tank shot that will allow us to see other things going on in the tank which could help solve the problem. Also, testing results for Ammonia and Nitrates.

1. Not an issue everything is right where it should be.

2. Yes I do have a sump. Tried growing some chetao (sp) but ended up having some bright green algae grow all over it so I stopped. Now sumo is clean

3. Yep skimmer is up and running. No issues with it.

4. I use saxby routine that a lot use. I guess I could shorten it I think is 10 hours or so

Can’t put full tank pic as the algae doesn’t show up very well.

I am wondering is this part of the new tank uglies or not and will it eventually go away

218CDC89-F680-4AF1-BE9C-5DB850ED5655.jpeg

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the clean back wall as I think it gives it more 'depth' but its personal preference.

The Max S500 is similar to my 650 and I let the back wall get covered for 6 months before i cleaned it as I thought it might be beneficial to the system. It made the water cloudy but soon cleared up.

I clean mine about once every 3-4 weeks as soon as I see lots of little white specs appearing whatever they are, and then just get a long handled scraper. It only takes a few minutes and its clean again.

Thanks I am going to keep it clean. I do see some purple growing on it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back