Algae on Sand

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on Getting rid of this algae on some parts of my sand? All water params are good. No phosphate detectable. I run Ferric Oxide and Carbon in a HOB filter and kalk in my top off water.
Adam

Last edited:

Spiderwoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano. Even if your test doesn't show phosphates, they still are present that that's what cyano is feeding on.
I'd manually remove it and go easy on feedings.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not cyano. How old is the tank? what kind of clean up crew do you have?

OP
OP
adamfajge

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 2 years old I have a serpent star about 10 blue legged hermits and maybe 6 astrea snails. The flow should be fine in that area. I have 2 Koralia 1's, Aqua C Remora and a Aqua Clear 50 HOB with ChemiPure Elite and a in-tank UV sterilzier that that bulb broke so right now its just for added flow.. Someone mentioned Algae Magic from Weiss Organics. Its not Cyano. It is some green algae that attached to the arragonite in some areas. Manual removal just makes it come back.
Adam

Maybe some Nassarius Snails to stir up the sand could help also.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried vacuuming the upper layer of the sand in that area? Looks like organics are accumulating there. Your flow may be good, but it may be driving organics to that area and allowing them to settle. Can you make some waterflow come through what appears to be a tunnel behind the algae area? Phosphate tests are of limited value because because algae can take up the phosphates before you can test, resulting in a zero reading. The presence of algae is a positive test for phosphates.
Gary

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back