algae on soft corals, what ta do..

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should've watched the BR TV episodes. One mistake I made was I do dosed my tank with red sea three and one reef coral supplement. I have learned is is for more mature tanks and coral. I think it caused my KH to rise and algae bloom which turn is causing softies not to bloom. I'm not sure if I could be aggressive with toothbrush or how aggressive I could be using toothbrush to scrub that little algae streaks off the softies. Honestly this Enterprise has been so easy for fish stock, but soft coral and crustacean, etc., and invertebrae stock I have found much more difficult to provide good husbandry . All parameters are good except KH is quite high. I'm having an algae bloom, and the algae is affecting the sprouting of my soft corals. What to do? in the second image, a few days ago that softie was a nice plush green all over. Now she's not sprouting at all.
I also got a tux urchin and it didn't last 48 hours. I don't know I saw the fire shrimp eating on it. Not sure if it was the fire shrimp that caused it to keel or something with the high Kh.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should've watched the BR TV episodes. One mistake I made was I do dosed my tank with red sea three and one reef coral supplement. I have learned is is for more mature tanks and coral. I think it caused my KH to rise and algae bloom which turn is causing softies not to bloom. I'm not sure if I could be aggressive with toothbrush or how aggressive I could be using toothbrush to scrub that little algae streaks off the softies. Honestly this Enterprise has been so easy for fish stock, but soft coral and crustacean, etc., and invertebrae stock I have found much more difficult to provide good husbandry . All parameters are good except KH is quite high. I'm having an algae bloom, and the algae is affecting the sprouting of my soft corals. What to do? in the second image, a few days ago that softie was a nice plush green all over. Now she's not sprouting at all.
I also got a tux urchin and it didn't last 48 hours. I don't know I saw the fire shrimp eating on it. Not sure if it was the fire shrimp that caused it to keel or something with the high Kh.

image.jpg image.jpg
I've heard of carbon dosing onto them but not sure.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after tremendous amount of work, the day before yesterday and yesterday, today is starting out better. On the day before yesterday I took an electric scrubber and scrubbed all the live rock algae off, which of course created a huge issue of free algae in the tank. I put the pump at 100% for a while and tried to filter out as much as I could with the protein skimmer and fish net. The skimmer cup was the dumping out gallons of waste water. Next day I went in with my hands an and I cleaned out as much as I could and just did a massive water change. I must've changed 60% of the water, much of that as a result of water loss from the protein skim waste. I think definitely I have been feeding the fish stock too much. Maybe just as a newbie I wanna make my fish all with food so I had this practice feeding them a lot of food and just having a massive amount of fish food circulating in the tank. I'm sure that contributed to the algae. Now I've been very sparing about how I feed the fish. today is a better day and it's early in the morning and the softies are blooming. I thought they were dying..

Last edited:

PharmrJohn

Picking Up My Trumpet Again After 35 Years!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your current parameters? NH4, NO3, PO4, pH, ALK, Ca, Mg, Salinity and Temp?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back