Algae on zoa polyps

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sudden outbreak of both Bryopsis and Dinos which I can't explain because there was no change in parameters. In any case, they were growing rapidly so I did some water changes and started treating them both simultaneously with Reef Flux and Microbacter Clean & 7. It does not seem to bother anything at all and corals are growing. Now I have noticed that there is algae growing directly on zoa polyps. The top colony is being removed and treated. Over half of the center colony is covered. Those are opening somewhat for now. The colony and rock cannot be removed and I don't know if squirting h2o2 directly on them will kill off/neutralize the treatments I have added. Any ideas?

1630099219520.png

Last edited:

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how tough the algae is. I have good luck with a makeup brush and gently brushing each polyp to get rid of film algae. If it's a tougher hair like algae I have used a toothbrush taking care not to damage to polyps and brushing in between to scrub it away.

I dosed reeflux in my frag tank a few month back and while it did wipe out hair algae and bryopsis. Those nutrients breaking down certainly fueled bubble algae and films to go crazy.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how tough the algae is. I have good luck with a makeup brush and gently brushing each polyp to get rid of film algae. If it's a tougher hair like algae I have used a toothbrush taking care not to damage to polyps and brushing in between to scrub it away.

I dosed reeflux in my frag tank a few month back and while it did wipe out hair algae and bryopsis. Those nutrients breaking down certainly fueled bubble algae and films to go crazy.
I think what happened for me is the other way around - treated for bubble algae and then this happened. I will go steal a makeup brush from my wife right now!

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what happened for me is the other way around - treated for bubble algae and then this happened. I will go steal a makeup brush from my wife right now!
Just make sure it's clean!

I usually get mine from the dollar store.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure it's clean!

I usually get mine from the dollar store.
Saw this old post and wanted to say thanks. The dollar store makeup brushes are great. I never thought I would use them so much on this and other things!

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this old post and wanted to say thanks. The dollar store makeup brushes are great. I never thought I would use them so much on this and other things!
They are great! I use them on a lot of things as well. I'm glad I was able to help out!

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just saw this post and I had to jump in and thank you also. I have a Manute problem with a wee little bit on one of my zoa's. Now I'm going to do the same thing

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Before I finished your 2nd paragraph, I was going to order reflux. Now I'm NOT!

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really odd. I had another bryopsis outbreak for some reason while I was out of town. I had never gotten rid of some of that algae. For me the reef flux seemed to kill the bubble algae off somewhat.

Last edited:

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say it definitely worked for the intended purpose of killing bryopsis. It totally melted away. I did the suggested 30% water change but I think I should have done that every other day for a week to help lower the nitrate and phosphates more.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back