Algae or sponge??

kmullen1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I just noticed this growing in two places on rock in my tank. What is it?! Do I need to get rid of it? I’ve never seen anything like this. Tried Google Lens and it wasn’t successful in identifying it. Looked through threads here and didn’t find anything that looked like it. Any info is much appreciated!

IMG_5665.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, probably sponges - unless they start growing over and smothering corals, they should be harmless filter feeders. Some can be a bit invasive, but you should be able to scrape them off as needed/wanted to clear some space.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, probably sponges - unless they start growing over and smothering corals, they should be harmless filter feeders. Some can be a bit invasive, but you should be able to scrape them off as needed/wanted to clear some space.
Thats what I thought, I have something similar growing on the base of my nemenzophyllia, right up to where the polyp tissue starts. Should I just leave it? The polyp itself dosent seem too bothered, but it is a sponge so. What do you think would be the best course of action?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I thought, I have something similar growing on the base of my nemenzophyllia, right up to where the polyp tissue starts. Should I just leave it? The polyp itself dosent seem too bothered, but it is a sponge so. What do you think would be the best course of action?
If you're concerned about it, then you can trim it back (peace of mind is probably more worthwhile for you than the sponge is).

That said, if it's not bothering the coral and it's not growing over the top of the coral (blocking the light from reaching the coral), then it's probably fine to leave.

OP
OP
K

kmullen1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I’ll leave them be for now. If they become a problem then I can deal with it. Thanks again!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back