ALGAE OUT BREAK CORALS NOT DOING GOOD

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I read your original post correctly that you did a 5 gal water change with straight RO to bring your salinity down to 1.022? What was your salinity prior to that water change?

More importantly, are you still doing water changes with fresh RO ( no salt added)?

This would kill your corals quickly.

OP
OP
C

Clipsterzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my salinity was around 1.031-3ish.
No ive been adding salt to the ro after that.
I'm so confused on what to do:/

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the picture on my phone that well but the torch doesn't look like a goner to me. Corals eat and defecate from thier mouths, that might be all it's doing although it is a large amount of brown gunk. Is the torch in a lot of flow? Torches will retract if there is too much or not enough. Don't move it every 20 minutes though....give it a couple days to react if you move it.

Get a different ammonia kit. API is pretty notorious for false positives, but if that is a true ammonia you have an issue.

Meanwhile I would focus on stable water parameters and regular ( but not crazy, maybe weekly) water changes. Slowly adjust your salinity upward to 1.025 or 1.026- research this forum for how to do it right. Read lots of info about how to keep your tank stable in the "New to the Hobby" forum.

I wouldn't move your tank now if you can avoid it.

Get a small cleanup crew. If your melanarus eats the cuc get something different next time ;) FWIW, my Mel doesn't bother the snails or crabs at all.

OP
OP
C

Clipsterzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. The issue is the torch was fine for a good 2 weeks then the tissue on the left side retraced all the way to the top and it has bwwn like that since. It stopped opening fully and big just barely opened on one side. Tentacles always hung over the side and been deflated. The torch is in decent flow(moderate). I will move it tomorrow across the samdbed where there is more flow and give it some time. I was trying to move the tank either this Saturday or Sunday. I will see if I can do it Monday or Tuesday. Thank you once again:) I will keep you updated with pictures tomorrow of the torch.

OP
OP
C

Clipsterzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CindyKz sorry for asking so many questions. I just noticed that my hammer coral heads are sticking out far than normal. Does this have to do with the torch thing?

OP
OP
C

Clipsterzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CindyKz Sorry for asking so many questions. My hammer coral's heads are sticking out really far, farther than normal. I am wondering if the torch has to do with this. Here is a picture of the hammer and torch with lights off:

image.jpg

image.jpg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CindyKz Sorry for asking so many questions. My hammer coral's heads are sticking out really far, farther than normal. I am wondering if the torch has to do with this. Here is a picture of the hammer and torch with lights off:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry, I don't know what this is. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

When I said to wait to move your tank, I was speaking in terms of weeks to months, not a day or two. Let things get nice and stable if you can - you stated it was just across the room and in your post it didn't sound emergent. If your corals are teetering on the brink a move might be just the thing to push them over the edge.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EVERYTHING in saltwater should be raised or lowered slowly. Like 1.022 to 1.023 wait a day. 1.023 to 1.024. Wait a day. 1.024 to 1.025. A drop in salinity is not as bad because you are raising the O² in the water. More salt less O².
Your torch may not be dead. Will it bomb your tank no. Also know that natural ocean water is 1.026. Stay at 1.024-1.025 for leeway. Plus more O² from less salinity=higher pH=not as good for algae, because it is a plant that likes CO². Not saying there will be more CO² from more salinity. Just less O²

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back