Algae out of control

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I do to control this type of growth? I’ve tried once before takeoff it all out of the tank even scrubbed the rocks stayed good for a couple weeks then back at it
IMG_0002.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using rodi water? That can really be a factor.

Manual removal and snails are the best bets. They can’t eat the big stuff But will keep it mowed for you.

It looks like a very new tank , so the nutrients in water aren’t processed as well by the bio filter and other organisms. So the calurpa has a lot of food all to it’s self.

An inexpensive hob Refugium might be somthing to look at.

OP
OP
M

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using rodi water? That can really be a factor.

Manual removal and snails are the best bets. They can’t eat the big stuff But will keep it mowed for you.

It looks like a very new tank , so the nutrients in water aren’t processed as well by the bio filter and other organisms. So the calurpa has a lot of food all to it’s self.

An inexpensive hob Refugium might be somthing to look at.

Had the tank up and running since November. I have 2 snails and the first time I removed it by hand and 2 weeks later it grew back. I get my water both salt and fresh water from a local fish store. Thank you for the reply

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @saltyfilmfolks said, lack of nutrient processing.
Do you have a sump, if not, as above get a cheap hob fuge.
Can you test your shop bought water for nitrates and phosphates?
Do you water change, if so how much and how often?

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that you’re not doing weekly 10% water changes since you have to get your water from your LFS? I know I probably wouldn’t either if I had to go to the store every weekend or so. If you can afford it, your money would be best spent on a good RO/DI system so you can make your own water. I bought my system from Bulk Reef Supply. They even have videos on their website on how to use it. If you can make your own water, that would help a ton!!!! Also, I’m assuming you use a protein skimmer? Are you feeding too much? Just a few suggestions.....good luck!!![emoji106]

OP
OP
M

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that you’re not doing weekly 10% water changes since you have to get your water from your LFS? I know I probably wouldn’t either if I had to go to the store every weekend or so. If you can afford it, your money would be best spent on a good RO/DI system so you can make your own water. I bought my system from Bulk Reef Supply. They even have videos on their website on how to use it. If you can make your own water, that would help a ton!!!! Also, I’m assuming you use a protein skimmer? Are you feeding too much? Just a few suggestions.....good luck!!![emoji106]

I do a 2 gallon water change once every week and a half. And I have been looking at getting the media basket for the second chamber it’s an aoi tank and I would put the refugium in the middle chamber with a light on the outside which cheato and then media in the lower chamber and floss on top chamber. I haven’t looked into getting my own RODI system but I am now thanks again for the info.

OP
OP
M

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 2 gallon water change once every week and a half. And I have been looking at getting the media basket for the second chamber it’s an aoi tank and I would put the refugium in the middle chamber with a light on the outside which cheato and then media in the lower chamber and floss on top chamber. I haven’t looked into getting my own RODI system but I am now thanks again for the info.

Also I feed 1 time a week all I have is hermits and 2 snails and corals my fish keep dying all levels are within limits my ph was a little low added a buffer and it’s within range now

OP
OP
M

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just looked up the rodi system I will definitely be purchasing that and having a set up of a salt water mix tank and fresh water for top offs. Thank u very much for that information. Having to rely on my lfs for water is a pain and fairly expensive.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the tank up and running since November. I have 2 snails and the first time I removed it by hand and 2 weeks later it grew back. I get my water both salt and fresh water from a local fish store. Thank you for the reply
You’ll want , as you go, to keep adding diverse snails. They all eat differently. Personally , I think it’s just a new tank ugly , and if the water is good , it should pass.
A TDS meter is pretty cheap, and if you lfs is cool, you can talk to them about the process.

OP
OP
M

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Type of light? It looks like you are lacking blue spectrum.....

I have the stock light that came with the fluvel eco 13.5. It does have the blue light setting which I turn on at 6 pm for 4 hours before I **** the light off to go to bed. I have looked at other lights just not sure what to go with. I want to upgrade to a 75 gallon with a sump triton setup in a couple months and use that one as my quarantine tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the stock light that came with the fluvel eco 13.5. It does have the blue light setting which I turn on at 6 pm for 4 hours before I **** the light off to go to bed. I have looked at other lights just not sure what to go with. I want to upgrade to a 75 gallon with a sump triton setup in a couple months and use that one as my quarantine tank.
I’d suggest feeding daily. The fish need it. Algae happens , and there’s ways to help that. Starving the tank for fear of algae is kinda common. But IMO , algae have many other causes Esp in new tanks.
Slightly better water is a good thing ,a bit complicated as to why.
I’d also highly reccomend some bio spira and dr Tim’s bacteria. Help build the biofiler. It too needs to be fed.

As far as the light , not 100% sure on your schedule , most will begin with an hour or more of blue only , add the whites with the blues , and end with an hour or two of blue only . If the corals are growing , it’ll compete with algae too.

Back