algae outbreak from cleaning tank?

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is about 2 months, it might be coincidence that i'm getting a diatom outbreak right, but i was wondering if it's possible for an diatom/algae outbreak to happen after cleaning my equipment. I cleaned the HOB, heater, and powerhead (and replaced the filter floss).... all before a water change. I only have a 10 gallon and it just hit me that even if my tank was mature... would this spark an algae outbreak in a tank? or is it just new tank cycling woes?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is about 2 months, it might be coincidence that i'm getting a diatom outbreak right, but i was wondering if it's possible for an diatom/algae outbreak to happen after cleaning my equipment. I cleaned the HOB, heater, and powerhead (and replaced the filter floss).... all before a water change. I only have a 10 gallon and it just hit me that even if my tank was mature... would this spark an algae outbreak in a tank? or is it just new tank cycling woes?
Youre cycled already but your tank is in the beginning stages of establishing its biodiversity stability.
A diatom outbreak is normal at different stages, especially if you used bagged sand that you did not rinse.
I would be less concerned with cleaning at this point and more concerned with testing your parameters often to get an idea of whats going on.
Do you know your No3/po4 levels?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is most likely just your tank doing it's thing as a young tank. Diatoms feed on silicates which your sand and rocks will release. Tap water is also a source of silicates so be sure that you are using RODI water and keep the filters in good working order. Normal tank maintenance will not cause an algae outbreak. Don't do what I did. I threw a huge sledge hammer at my problems and caused other issues. Take your time and develop good husbandry. Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep it up and good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back