Algae outbreak

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant get rid of this algae I clean it and it all reappears in days it’s taking over my tank I’ve tried a refugium(no change) I’ve tried feeding way less often (no change) I’m just not sure what it’s from and how to get it gone. Would like some advice this crap is literally taking over. Also that is not my light spectrum it just did that so it was easier to see

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check your phosphate and nitrates...
Also check your Alk, Mag, and Cal.
If any of those 5 are wacked, then you will never win this war and you will lose from attrition.

im guessing you have issues with gha, or bryopsis, as those are one of the few i can think of that never goes away after scrubing and scrubing, until you fix your water chemistry.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures and no, don't be embarrassed or surprised, we all went through this so pictures are the best way towards help

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures and no, don't be embarrassed or surprised, we all went through this so pictures are the best way towards help
B201E994-00AF-4FDB-9D8B-59943B16EF2B.png
DFFD7D0E-8BE3-452E-A847-99402479BBC5.png
DFFD7D0E-8BE3-452E-A847-99402479BBC5.png
072B0D3B-43B7-42BA-B201-63E84A3308EF.png

Sorry thought the pics uploaded

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check your phosphate and nitrates...
Also check your Alk, Mag, and Cal.
If any of those 5 are wacked, then you will never win this war and you will lose from attrition.

im guessing you have issues with gha, or bryopsis, as those are one of the few i can think of that never goes away after scrubing and scrubing, until you fix your water chemistry.
agree....looks like high phosphates

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like GHA maybe briopsis. Please provide full tank parameters and age of the tank. What is your lighting? Weekly manual removal with water changes? What is your existing cleaner crew? Do you use RODI?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae should be limited by predation. You need more things that eat it.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed^^ Once its there its there and has to be removed by hand or by eating it (not you ;)). Manipulating numbers so that it melts away somehow or absence of nutrients that doesn't harm your coral is futile imo. I don't know that anyone knows this equation :)

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I use these little pipe cleaner like brushes that came with a cheap bottle brush set on Amazon. They have stiff bristles that snag algae. I simply insert into a patch and twist like I'm rolling spaghetti onto a fork. It catches a chunk, I remove it by hand then repeat. It doesn't clean it perfect and I don't try to but I think it mows it down to a point where my snails get interested and finish the rest. Has worked for me...
1700702787511.png

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the long and safe way, and the fast but dangerous way which needs constant monitoring... which one would you like?

But the long and safe way is to use Brightwell Microbacter 7, and some pourous bioceramic blocks in sump, and with weekly water changes, and can take up to 3 months or more....

The dangerous way is to use Vibrant, which your going to hear a lot of people say "NOOOOO" to but it works, but can wipe your corals out.

A somewhere in between would be to run a GFO reactor, and wipe out as much phosphate as possible, but make sure its not 0, otherwise you will have a cyano bloom incoming.

But all 3 ways will still require some manual removal, like you going in and cleaning, some clean up crews will help like some snails and pitho crabs ive seen grab at it as well.

Hermits are mostly usless.

If your rockwork is tightly secured an urchin will wreck all that algae but they are like moving natural disasters meaning they will knock over anything and everything that isnt secured as well as wear anything ontop of them that isnt secured like a costume of sorts.

Id go with a combo of running GFO and Microbacter 7, and not use the Vibrant route unless your absolutely desperate and very short on throwing the towel.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chateo Fuge, skimmer, algae blenny sea hare, and typical hermits snails and all that
Looks like Derbesia, aka hair algae. Is the algae blenny and see hare eating the crud? If so have you tried any turbo snails? Manual removal, no over feeding, no coral food or bottled goodies, removing detritus and redirecting flow to improve dead spots is a good start.

There’s information on dosing H2O2 in the forums to help combat algae. If the rock is able to be removed it can be spot treated with peroxide. I would leave that to someone more experienced than me on the how to.

If nothing is eating the algae it may be something else.

As stated above vibrance or algae fix is risky but may work.

There is another drug, fluconazole that may or may not work.

I would only use those as a last ditch effort

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chateo Fuge, skimmer, algae blenny sea hare, and typical hermits snails and all that
How well is the macro algae growing? Are you able to harvest weekly? What kind of snails and how many? What kind of water change schedule are you doing or not doing? How much skimmate is produced and how often? Do you do any kind of carbon dosing?

And not seeing some other basic information unless I missed it but what size tank is this? Like someone else mentioned have you or can you test your nitrates and phosphate levels? Do you currently run any GFO or dose lanthanum chloride?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back