Algae popping up after dosing phosphate - ID Please

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff started popping up a week or so after dosing phosphate. It blows off with a turkey blaster, and snails eat it. Fish pick at it as well, but not with any regularity.

can anyone identify?

0F43666C-0C21-4D66-A4A0-222D5F68E5DC.jpeg
5BD45DCC-5D2B-4B00-9935-70442331C154.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree on cyano. Problem is, often when you add Phos and nitrate, you are feeding the cells even more.
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high but some cases even when low.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons
After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green cyano.
K of looks like cyano. I have never seen the green stuff before.

Odd though. I have had red cyano grow in my sump and it died off after I started dosing phosphates. Now this green stuff appears in the tank.
I think I’ll just keep blowing it off since my corals look really good.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on cyano. Problem is, often when you add Phos and nitrate, you are feeding the cells even more.
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high but some cases even when low.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons
After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
Thanks for this. I started dosing phosphates because they were dropping to zero. Now they read around .06 via Hannah checker.

I’m going to roll with high nutrients even though Nitrates are 10.

thanks for the suggestions. Have to mull this over.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K of looks like cyano. I have never seen the green stuff before.

Odd though. I have had red cyano grow in my sump and it died off after I started dosing phosphates. Now this green stuff appears in the tank.
I think I’ll just keep blowing it off since my corals look really good.
Comes in all colors. Common after dosing PO4. Vetteguys suggestions are good. Also check out SunnyX thread called Extreme Water Clarity and Eradicating Cyano. Use of CaCo3 and MB 7 to eradicate cyano. Takes some patience but it is beatable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Comes in all colors. Common after dosing PO4. Vetteguys suggestions are good. Also check out SunnyX thread called Extreme Water Clarity and Eradicating Cyano. Use of CaCo3 and MB 7 to eradicate cyano. Takes some patience but it is beatable.
Agree on colors: Green, yellow, red, purple, brown and varies with nutrients and spectrums

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.5%
Back