150 Glass Cages SPS Reef

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first build thread, but my third reef over the past 20 years. I ordered a Glass Cages 60 x 24 x 25 tank and had them build an external overflow peninsula style on the left side of the tank. The front and right side glass is low iron glass and I painted the back panel black. Due to the position of the tank, two side viewing angles would work best. I did not have the room for a coast-to-coast overflow behind the tank, space is at a premium. The tank took almost 4 months to complete with a few delays; however, the wait may just have been worth it... it is beautiful. I decided on a tank with a frame to cover the water line, Glass Cages used this nice high end feel material to wrap the bottom and top, doesn't feel like the cheap plastic of some tanks. The tank has euro bracing on the top and the bottom, it is very well built.

Here's a picture of the tank before it was put on a pallet and shipped:

Tank at Glass Cages.JPEG

Before the tank arrived I had four months to plan on how I was going to build the stand, plumb the tank, and decide on equipment. Here's a picture of the skeleton of the tank, notched 4x4's on the corners and 2x4's for the remainder of the support structure. Notice the lack of a center brace, there's no need since the skeleton is strong and covered with 1/2 inch plywood. I also have more room to work in the sump area with out that brace in the way.

IMG_2564.JPG

Here's a picture of the lights. I'm using 2 Reefbrite 250 watt mh/XHO lights using the 20k twin arc bulbs. I had these in storage from a previous built.

IMG_2565.JPG

After researching equipment I decided to go with the following:

The Particulars:
-Glass Cages Custom Tank
-Life Reef venturi skimmer
-Hydros controller: XP8 / XS4 / Wave Engine ETM
-Bashsea 46 inch sump
-Sicce Silent used for return pump and another for the skimmer.
-Heater is controlled by a Finnex controller using a 500 watt titanium heater The Hydros will work as the backup.
-ATO is controlled by a peristaltic pump located in the basement with two Hydros water level sensors located in the return chamber of the sump. I'm very happy not to have to lug up water from the basement to fill the ato. I'm using a 50 gallon bucket for the RO top off water.
-10% Water changes will be performed weekly. I plumbed a pvc line that empties into the sump, water is mixed in the basement and a Reeflo Dart brings the water up to the sump... no buckets :)
-Two Mp-40's and a Maxspect Gyre XF-280 for flow controlled by Hydros Wave Engine
-Bean Animal Drain
-Schedule 80 fittings
-Kessil H160 for the Refugium
-Four head doser from Red Sea for 2 part.

-I ordered around 60 pounds of dry rock from BRS (I soaked in RO for three months, changing the water frequently until phosphate stayed at 0 for two weeks) and created the ends of the scape by breaking the rock and mortaring it together. I also used about 20 lbs of CaribSea branch rock for the center piece of the Reef. In hindsight, I should have superglued some macro rock dust to cover the mortar. I'm not too concerned about it since it will all be covered by Coralline in a couple of months.

Here's a picture of bean animal drain. The design has been altered so many times, but I have decided to keep it as close to the original design that Bean Animal developed. If you haven't read the thread on Reef Central, it is located in their archives and worth the 5000 page thread.

Main Siphon:
IMG_2541.JPG

Open Channel:

IMG_2541.JPG

I can't get a good picture of the entire overflow box, too many reflections and there's a cabinet in the way. The emergency is not built using elbows like Bean Animal intended; however, it will function the same. I may decide to add the elbows at a later date.

Here's look at the sump view, keeping the gate valve as close as possible to the sump:

IMG_2543.JPG

I did not glue all the drain parts together, instead using teflon tape to create an air tight seal for easier dissambly if needed. There are bulkheads under the over flow box that will allow me to disassemble all the drain plumbing if needed without much issue.

Here's a short video of the tank while it is being filled. Water is being pumped up from the basement, sooooo easy.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KbZnJZh5udg

The sump has four chambers: refugium / skimmer / mechanical filtration bubble trap / return:
IMG_2570.JPG

Since the tank is bare bottom I added a Brightwell brick and 5 pound of crushed coral and 5 pounds of Carib Sea Live Sand and some rubble to the sump. All of this media has been sitting in a bucket for three months cycling using ammonia and bacteria. The Phosban 550 is full of Matrix Media that also has been cycling for three months.

I created a manifold and an extra possible outlet in case I have to use a UV sterilizer down the road. I can simply cut off the cap and add a the plumbing for whatever I may need.

IMG_2572.JPG

Here's a close up of the manifold. For some reason, the port on the right pushed out after gluing making it slightly longer than the other two, it doesn't leak so I decided to keep it as it. I used standard pvc pipe that wasn't supposed to show, but apparently I did not measure the overlap of the fittings correctly.
IMG_2573 2.JPG

In the first chamber resides the refugium: I am using a Kessil A160 to light the chaeto. I purchased some chaeto when I added pods from Algae Barn, I don't expect it to do well, but maybe it will be ok while the tank matures.
IMG_2574.JPG

I purchased a tall cabinet for storage and to hold the electronics. It is a mess at the moment, but I haven't had time to get everything as I would like.... wire management truly is a skill.
IMG_2551 3.JPG

Here's a few pictures of the Hydros App.

IMG_2577.PNG

IMG_2578.PNG

Here's a view of how things look when everything is closed:

IMG_2566.JPG

I used a bottle of Dr. Tims and added a quarantined fish from Reef Chasers, a BiColor Foxface. During the first week I never detected any ammonia (Red Sea) or nitrite (Red Sea), I'm currently at 2ppm of Nitrate (Red Sea) and undetectable phosphate (using a fluvial kit). I attribute that to adding the precycled media in the sump.
68262315627__7FC2D22C-4FE3-413A-9C4A-AA15966DFE89 2.JPG

I was looking for a little more biodiversity so I added some pods from the Algae Barn, Sand from AquaBiomics. I also purchased twenty pounds of live base rock from KP Aquatics. The KP rock is in my QT, I have only put a couple of the rocks in the tank, I plan on putting more in later. I'm not sure if this extra bacteria and biodiversity is needed, but I don't think it can hurt.

Sooo, I am concluding my second full week of having this tank running and I'm putting a little bit of light on the tank. I'm only using one XHO for each pendant running at the lowest dimmable setting, I think that is 20% for 6 hours a day. The Foxface seems to be more active and feeds better when the lights are on. I've been running the lights for about 4 days and I haven't noticed any algae growth yet. I'm anticipating some uglies so I have a Kole and Mimic tang coming from Dr. Reef in a week or so. I'm also going to order a clean up crew, but I'm not sure when I'm going to add them, I'd like to get in front of any potential algae issues, but I also don't want them to starve. I'm hoping to avoid some of the worst uglies by having the seeded media and avoiding the nitrate spike that occurs with traditional fishless cycling.

I did my first round of testing the BIG three and it seems that some of my numbers are pretty low, I'm using Brightwell Salt and it took an entire bucket to fill the tank and sump. Here are the numbers: Alk: 7.5 CA: 380 Mag: 1310. I'm now using BRS two part to bring the numbers where I want: Alk: 8-8.5 / CA: 440 / Mag 1400. I have another bucket of salt and if this one registers low numbers I may look at other options.

That's it for now. I'll update as the tank progresses. Please feel free to ask questions or suggestions.

The last picture below won't delete for some reason. IMG_2501.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2524.MOV
    29.1 MB
Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first build thread, but my third reef over the past 20 years. I ordered a Glass Cages 60 x 24 x 25 tank and had them build an external overflow peninsula style on the left side of the tank. The front and right side glass is low iron glass and I painted the back panel black. Due to the position of the tank, two side viewing angles would work best. I did not have the room for a coast-to-coast overflow behind the tank, space is at a premium. The tank took almost 4 months to complete with a few delays; however, the wait may just have been worth it... it is beautiful. I decided on a tank with a frame to cover the water line, Glass Cages used this nice high end feel material to wrap the bottom and top, doesn't feel like the cheap plastic of some tanks. The tank has euro bracing on the top and the bottom, it is very well built.

Here's a picture of the tank before it was put on a pallet and shipped:

Tank at Glass Cages.JPEG

Before the tank arrived I had four months to plan on how I was going to build the stand, plumb the tank, and decide on equipment. Here's a picture of the skeleton of the tank, notched 4x4's on the corners and 2x4's for the remainder of the support structure. Notice the lack of a center brace, there's no need since the skeleton is strong and covered with 1/2 inch plywood. I also have more room to work in the sump area with out that brace in the way.

IMG_2564.JPG

Here's a picture of the lights. I'm using 2 Reefbrite 250 watt mh/XHO lights using the 20k twin arc bulbs. I had these in storage from a previous built.

IMG_2565.JPG

After researching equipment I decided to go with the following:

The Particulars:
-Glass Cages Custom Tank
-Life Reef venturi skimmer
-Hydros controller: XP8 / XS4 / Wave Engine ETM
-Bashsea 46 inch sump
-Sicce Silent used for return pump and another for the skimmer.
-Heater is controlled by a Finnex controller using a 500 watt titanium heater The Hydros will work as the backup.
-ATO is controlled by a peristaltic pump located in the basement with two Hydros water level sensors located in the return chamber of the sump. I'm very happy not to have to lug up water from the basement to fill the ato. I'm using a 50 gallon bucket for the RO top off water.
-10% Water changes will be performed weekly. I plumbed a pvc line that empties into the sump, water is mixed in the basement and a Reeflo Dart brings the water up to the sump... no buckets :)
-Two Mp-40's and a Maxspect Gyre XF-280 for flow controlled by Hydros Wave Engine
-Bean Animal Drain
-Schedule 80 fittings
-Kessil H160 for the Refugium
-Four head doser from Red Sea for 2 part.

-I ordered around 60 pounds of dry rock from BRS (I soaked in RO for three months, changing the water frequently until phosphate stayed at 0 for two weeks) and created the ends of the scape by breaking the rock and mortaring it together. I also used about 20 lbs of CaribSea branch rock for the center piece of the Reef. In hindsight, I should have superglued some macro rock dust to cover the mortar. I'm not too concerned about it since it will all be covered by Coralline in a couple of months.

Here's a picture of bean animal drain. The design has been altered so many times, but I have decided to keep it as close to the original design that Bean Animal developed. If you haven't read the thread on Reef Central, it is located in their archives and worth the 5000 page thread.

Main Siphon:
IMG_2541.JPG

Open Channel:

IMG_2541.JPG

I can't get a good picture of the entire overflow box, too many reflections and there's a cabinet in the way. The emergency is not built using elbows like Bean Animal intended; however, it will function the same. I may decide to add the elbows at a later date.

Here's look at the sump view, keeping the gate valve as close as possible to the sump:

IMG_2543.JPG

I did not glue all the drain parts together, instead using teflon tape to create an air tight seal for easier dissambly if needed. There are bulkheads under the over flow box that will allow me to disassemble all the drain plumbing if needed without much issue.

Here's a short video of the tank while it is being filled. Water is being pumped up from the basement, sooooo easy.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KbZnJZh5udg

The sump has four chambers: refugium / skimmer / mechanical filtration bubble trap / return:
IMG_2570.JPG

Since the tank is bare bottom I added a Brightwell brick and 5 pound of crushed coral and 5 pounds of Carib Sea Live Sand and some rubble to the sump. All of this media has been sitting in a bucket for three months cycling using ammonia and bacteria. The Phosban 550 is full of Matrix Media that also has been cycling for three months.

I created a manifold and an extra possible outlet in case I have to use a UV sterilizer down the road. I can simply cut off the cap and add a the plumbing for whatever I may need.

IMG_2572.JPG

Here's a close up of the manifold. For some reason, the port on the right pushed out after gluing making it slightly longer than the other two, it doesn't leak so I decided to keep it as it. I used standard pvc pipe that wasn't supposed to show, but apparently I did not measure the overlap of the fittings correctly.
IMG_2573 2.JPG

In the first chamber resides the refugium: I am using a Kessil A160 to light the chaeto. I purchased some chaeto when I added pods from Algae Barn, I don't expect it to do well, but maybe it will be ok while the tank matures.
IMG_2574.JPG

I purchased a tall cabinet for storage and to hold the electronics. It is a mess at the moment, but I haven't had time to get everything as I would like.... wire management truly is a skill.
IMG_2551 3.JPG

Here's a few pictures of the Hydros App.

IMG_2577.PNG

IMG_2578.PNG

Here's a view of how things look when everything is closed:

IMG_2566.JPG

I used a bottle of Dr. Tims and added a quarantined fish from Reef Chasers, a BiColor Foxface. During the first week I never detected any ammonia (Red Sea) or nitrite (Red Sea), I'm currently at 2ppm of Nitrate (Red Sea) and undetectable phosphate (using a fluvial kit). I attribute that to adding the precycled media in the sump.
68262315627__7FC2D22C-4FE3-413A-9C4A-AA15966DFE89 2.JPG

I was looking for a little more biodiversity so I added some pods from the Algae Barn, Sand from AquaBiomics. I also purchased twenty pounds of live base rock from KP Aquatics. The KP rock is in my QT, I have only put a couple of the rocks in the tank, I plan on putting more in later. I'm not sure if this extra bacteria and biodiversity is needed, but I don't think it can hurt.

Sooo, I am concluding my second full week of having this tank running and I'm putting a little bit of light on the tank. I'm only using one XHO for each pendant running at the lowest dimmable setting, I think that is 20% for 6 hours a day. The Foxface seems to be more active and feeds better when the lights are on. I've been running the lights for about 4 days and I haven't noticed any algae growth yet. I'm anticipating some uglies so I have a Kole and Mimic tang coming from Dr. Reef in a week or so. I'm also going to order a clean up crew, but I'm not sure when I'm going to add them, I'd like to get in front of any potential algae issues, but I also don't want them to starve. I'm hoping to avoid some of the worst uglies by having the seeded media and avoiding the nitrate spike that occurs with traditional fishless cycling.

I did my first round of testing the BIG three and it seems that some of my numbers are pretty low, I'm using Brightwell Salt and it took an entire bucket to fill the tank and sump. Here are the numbers: Alk: 7.5 CA: 380 Mag: 1310. I'm now using BRS two part to bring the numbers where I want: Alk: 8-8.5 / CA: 440 / Mag 1400. I have another bucket of salt and if this one registers low numbers I may look at other options.

That's it for now. I'll update as the tank progresses. Please feel free to ask questions or suggestions.

The last picture below won't delete for some reason. IMG_2501.jpeg
@Syntax1235, your entire setup is amazing. Great work there. Glad you like the teams work. thanks so much.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a few pictures of some frags I recently introduced. I’m interested in seeing how they will fare especially since the tank is very young. They were taken about 30 minutes after the halides came on. The xho’s are on for 8 hours a day on a slope setting that ramp up to 80% for three hours and then dims for the remaining 3 hours. Halides are only on for an hour.

A Torch.
EA0DEF28-CEB9-4C05-93E7-8EA6566E81D9.jpeg

A frogspawn
2432529D-CB58-4BCB-B0BC-79624F5AE2AD.jpeg

The last frag is a good sized chunk of a Green Slimer Acro.

01EF9361-8C6D-4ED6-ADA1-B28EAC64965F.jpeg

I’m going to start running a little carbon in a phosban 150 and perform my first water change this weekend.

I’m sitting at:

Alk: 8
Ca: 465 I overshot the correction dose of two part. The water change this weekend should lower it a little.
Mag: 1350
Nitrate: around 3
Po4: Not measurable with my fluvial test kit. I have a checker coming in tomorrow.

I am dealing with low ph right now, at 7.6 it is much lower than ideal. I have never had ph problems in a tank before. Time to start troubleshooting… I think I’ll start with Randy’s cup test and go from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I was dealing with a probe calibration issue. Ph was 8 and went up to 8.3 when I opened the windows.

it’s always nice to have a standard drip test on hand.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a Scopas Tang today. The fish started eating about an hour after being introduced. Thank you Reef Chasers for another healthy and beautiful fish!

C39DEC7D-3984-47EA-8FE0-91BB87B1B338.jpeg

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatom bloom has been slowly progressing for the past week. Got some snails from @reefcleaners, I had some losses but John credited my account. The money Cowries all made the trip, they are very neat creatures.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in two more tangs that I purchased from Dr. Reef, a Mimic and a Kole Tang. Both fish arrived healthy and started eating minutes after being introduced to the aquarium.

Here's a video of the Tang Gang +1 under XHO lights: Scopas Tang, Mimic Tang, Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, and a Bi-Color FoxFace.

No more fish for a while. Time to let the Tang Gang +1 take care of these algae blooms.

Tang Gang

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 5 today and I'm hitting my first dilemma.... I have very low nitrate of around 1.5 and low phosphate of .01. I have been feeding my four fish heavily and adding reef chile to the water in the attempt to "dirty" it up a bit. I came home from work today to find a slight haze in the water, a potential bacterial bloom. I'm going to wait this out and see how it progresses. The fish are fat and there is enough algae in the tank to sustain them. No more food for a few days.

I've ordered some Brightwell Neonitro and Neophos that will be coming at the end of the week. I'm hoping that the bloom subsides if I ease up on my feeding, and if I'm able to raise my nutrients and not give dinos an invitation into my tank. Crossing my fingers.

I turned on my skimmer to aerate the water and set it to skin very dry.

if all else fails I see a UV sterilizer purchase in my future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put in several corals and they all seem to have done well until today. I foolishly purchased a small Hawkins Enchinata and it has lost the majority of its flesh from the bottom up. I guess I was overconfident in my ability to put corals in a young tank and have them flourish. The other corals seem to be doing well and my alk consumption is a little less than .5dkh a day, slow but i do see some growth in the new acros. I'm at the 5 week mark and it certainly looks like I'm dealing with a very slight bacteria bloom. There's still some algae on the rocks but it seems to be dying off - I attribute this to the tang gang, snails and possibly the bacteria.

My nutrients are low. Nitrate is 2 and p04 is at .01 via Ultra Low Phosphate Test by Hannah.

I'm stuck with a decision to make and could use a little advice: I have some of brightwell neonitra and neophos coming on Thursday, but until then how would you proceed? If I feed heavily I may possibly make the bacteria bloom worse, and if I don't feed my nutrients may bottom out. I've ordered a few more fish from Dr. Reef, but they won't ship for another few weeks.

I think I'll be ok with nutrients if I can make it to Thursday before they bottom out. Does anyone see anything on this video of concern, particularly the haze in the water? It doesn't look like it has worsened over the last 24 hours.

Will this bloom go away or will I have to purchase a UV?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may just be I cant see it in the video cause my eyesight sucks, but I dont see anything in there that concerns me at all other than maybe how clean everything looks after 5 weeks. I would be more concerned with bottoming out nutrients and starving coral (plus as you mention possibility of dinos) than I would be concerned about a possible bacteria bloom. in my experience the bacterial bloom is much easier to recover from than starving the tank or dinos once they get established.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may just be I cant see it in the video cause my eyesight sucks, but I dont see anything in there that concerns me at all other than maybe how clean everything looks after 5 weeks. I would be more concerned with bottoming out nutrients and starving coral (plus as you mention possibility of dinos) than I would be concerned about a possible bacteria bloom. in my experience the bacterial bloom is much easier to recover from than starving the tank or dinos once they get established.
It’s hard to see the haze, but it is there. I would think that a bacteria bloom would get exponentially worse day by day? Maybe it’s not bacteria.

This diatom stage seems to be receding, it’s hard to tell because the fish are constantly grazing.

Thank you for taking a look and for your thoughtful comments.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neonitro and neophos showed up a day early…. Does that ever happen now???

I dosed 50ml of neonitro (dose to increase by 3) and 12ml of the neophos (dose to increase by .02). My nitrate was 2 and Phos was .01. I’ll test tomorrow at the same time and see if those numbers change.

I’m going to look for a more economical way to dose nutrients until I can keep them around 6-8 nitrate and .05-.08 Phos by feeding.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered four more fish from Dr. Reef - Copperband, Linespot Wrasse, Lubbocks Wrasse, and a red Dartfish.

I’m hopping that any aggression by the residents will be dispersed by the new additions so the Copperband will be harassed less.

Copperband is my favorite fish, fingers crossed that the shipping is easy on it, and that the residents play nice.

should be about three weeks before they ship. Hopefully I won’t have to dose nitrate and phosphate with the increased bio load.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 1/2 weeks and the acros are showing encrusting and new branch growth. It’s nice to see a young tank keeping these acros happy.

Pictures were taken with the halides on. 338F9699-B2B8-4E7A-8E9B-75331EE3C05F.jpeg 6A532DA6-4064-4402-9AEF-D1F1ABC55970.jpeg DA74E0D3-93FC-45D8-B329-9D124A35A28B.jpeg D37E3493-0986-4F2F-96E0-FF21D227EB21.jpeg

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going Fallow.

i lost my Kole Tang earlier this week due to some kind of illness, parasites, ick, or velvet. Some of the other fish has some spots but behavior was fine. Since I lost a fish to a mysterious Illnes I pulled the last three and put them in a hospital tank. All three fish are in 2.25ppm-2.5ppm of copper power, they are eating well and look good. I’ll treat with general cure or prasi pro after the thirty day copper. I’ve got 76 days to make sure these fish are healthy.

Figures, I buy qt fish and I end up with a disease. Could also have come from inverts.

I am concerned about the corals I currently have. Even though the tank is young the acros have been encrusting and have maintained or improved color. I’ll have to keep the nutrients up util I put the fish back.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back