Algae problem

Joker Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded my light to the hybrid which is Radion and t5. Then the brown hair algae started pop out everywhere
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG

Can they be harmful? How to remove those ?

Fragtory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By removing the nutrients in the water remove as much as you can manually and then focus on water parameters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would suggest and ask a couple of things.
Suggestion...... the intensity seems satisfactory in pic. Bring the whites down further and increase blues. Decrease any reds if you have to near zero.
How is your water flow? Lack of flow seems to support brown algae and hair algae and there is not much to disturb their ability to adhere to surfaces. What is your light schedule (hrs per day)?

Are you using RO or tap water?

This algae is more likely silica than algae. You can use a silicate removing resin which will help and also added clean up crew such as cerith or nassurus snails who will feed on this.
Use of a turkey baster to blast away the surface brown appearance also effective but not a solution.

OP
OP
Joker Corals

Joker Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest and ask a couple of things.
Suggestion...... the intensity seems satisfactory in pic. Bring the whites down further and increase blues. Decrease any reds if you have to near zero.
How is your water flow? Lack of flow seems to support brown algae and hair algae and there is not much to disturb their ability to adhere to surfaces. What is your light schedule (hrs per day)?

Are you using RO or tap water?

This algae is more likely silica than algae. You can use a silicate removing resin which will help and also added clean up crew such as cerith or nassurus snails who will feed on this.
Use of a turkey baster to blast away the surface brown appearance also effective but not a solution.

I’m running my light 10hr a day
Using Radion AB+ at 100% intensity
Light bulb I have 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus and I run that for 5 hr

I think those are Dino

I run a big thing of cheato but I think it didn’t help
IMG_0401.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cut your whites down to 30%

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever you replace a bulb(s) or update/ upgrade your lights, you can expect an algae issue. The biggest problem with algae comes from light at the red end of the spectrum.

Back