Algae problem

TheReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an algae bloom that I cant get under control for 6 months now. I have a 47 gallon bow front with a 10 gallon sump. I am running chemipure elite, activated carbon, phosban running through a reactor and a small protein skimmer. I have 2 new kessel blues that run for 8 Hours per day and I have 4 small power heads that alternate flow every 15 seconds via a controller. Im running a Rio+ 2100 pump for my return. I have tried water changes, chemiclean and even a 24 hour black out. I also added a small UV sterilizer that made no difference. The black out worked for a few days but the algae came back. Corals and fish seem to be doing fine but I constantly have to be blowing the algae off them. I feed pellets (spectrum) once maybe twice a week (reduced it to limit adding nutrients). I used to feed reef roids weekly but stopped bc of the algae bloom about 2 months ago. I have been doing water changes with RODI water (BRS) and Red sea pro but the algae just seems to get worse in the days immediatly following the water changes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nitrates 0 (API)
Phosphates 0 (API)
DKH 9 (hanna)
Salinity 1.026

Also added nassarium, trochus and cerith snails. Pod populationseemed to completely dissapear so I added tiger pods and some live phyto to help establish a population again (I have a scooter blenny).
Ignore the hair algae in one of the photos its new but the snails seem to be taking care of it. Its the brown stuff and it is on the rocks and sand.

20210810_180655.jpg
20210810_180640.jpg
20210810_180628.jpg
20210810_180437.jpg
20210810_180417.jpg
20210810_180425.jpg

20210810_180655.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are serious about fixing it thats the top method

because it makes the tank ready in three hours vs playing around five months

those tanks were worse than yours. Few folks are serious about tank bring ups

four who were serious are linked there all doing the same set of moves for different invasions. There is no downside to that method there are only the happy pics and months after testimony we can read about there.

OP
OP
T

TheReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are serious about fixing it thats the top method

because it makes the tank ready in three hours vs playing around five months

those tanks were worse than yours. Few folks are serious about tank bring ups

four who were serious are linked there all doing the same set of moves for different invasions. There is no downside to that method there are only the happy pics and months after testimony we can read about there.
Ok thanks Ill read through it and try out the recommendations. It will give me a chance to rework the rocks to allow for more of a sand bed.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A neat way to see that method is that it doesn’t replace the ability to change parameters and starve a target, or dose chemi clean and maybe kill a target those may work

it’s that this method exports biomass before it degrades internally that’s why the reassembled tanks are so shiny and hungry, all the spaces are open and ready for waste again and feed can be boosted, not withheld

in other approaches youre feeding less to prevent param spikes and imbalances, it’s sustained for weeks vs two hours minor insult and zero cells to die and release contents in tank

OP
OP
T

TheReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of detritus that I got out by using this technique is baffeling. I just cant imagine doing this if my tank is fully stocked with corals. Also used a syphon to run tank water with detritus through a filter sock and back into my refugium. Seemed to help. Thanks for the advice. Lets see if what it looks like when lights come on. Pics to follow!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s opposite of recommends, glad it didn’t kill your tank though. Here’s how to do it with corals

post an updated shot of the reef after you cleaned it, still curious to see outcome.

some reefs have dangerous forms of detritus, we wouldn’t mix that around to be safe but many do it anyway. New pics will show how through the cleaning is compared to logs above, it helps in making future predictions about where the tank is heading

Last edited:

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an algae bloom that I cant get under control for 6 months now. I have a 47 gallon bow front with a 10 gallon sump. I am running chemipure elite, activated carbon, phosban running through a reactor and a small protein skimmer. I have 2 new kessel blues that run for 8 Hours per day and I have 4 small power heads that alternate flow every 15 seconds via a controller. Im running a Rio+ 2100 pump for my return. I have tried water changes, chemiclean and even a 24 hour black out. I also added a small UV sterilizer that made no difference. The black out worked for a few days but the algae came back. Corals and fish seem to be doing fine but I constantly have to be blowing the algae off them. I feed pellets (spectrum) once maybe twice a week (reduced it to limit adding nutrients). I used to feed reef roids weekly but stopped bc of the algae bloom about 2 months ago. I have been doing water changes with RODI water (BRS) and Red sea pro but the algae just seems to get worse in the days immediatly following the water changes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nitrates 0 (API)
Phosphates 0 (API)
DKH 9 (hanna)
Salinity 1.026

Also added nassarium, trochus and cerith snails. Pod populationseemed to completely dissapear so I added tiger pods and some live phyto to help establish a population again (I have a scooter blenny).
Ignore the hair algae in one of the photos its new but the snails seem to be taking care of it. Its the brown stuff and it is on the rocks and sand.

20210810_180655.jpg
20210810_180640.jpg
20210810_180628.jpg
20210810_180437.jpg
20210810_180417.jpg
20210810_180425.jpg

20210810_180655.jpg
I didn’t think you have an algae problem but you have Dinos.
mid your nitrate and phosphate measure is really 0 that is a good indication too. Although you have mentioned API tests so I can’t trust them
some of your symptoms and pictures makes me guessing that could be Amphidinium but really you need a positive ID by using microscope.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back